UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Fruit and Nut Trees

Fruit and Nut Trees Plant Care, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Chicago Cherry Trees

I apologize for posting this without knowing what 'zone' I live in. I've been trying to research it all day.

I have a large plot of land, big enough for one beautiful fruit tree. I wanted an avacado tree, but there is no way that baby would grow here [this I did research]. I live in Chicago, and of course the winters are brutal. So I thought, if Michigan can get the cold, ice and snow and grow cherry trees, why can't I? I am looking for a fruit bearing tree for baking, and general eating! I know that I can grow a pear tree, or an apple tree, but cherry was the one tree I thought of that I would really enjoy for the fall.

It's a little late in the season to plant I realize this, but any help as far as type of cherry tree would be MOST appreciated. Especially from people that live here and own one themselves.

Happy seasons!

Thank You
Post New ThreadReply