Tomato Bounty

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by silver_creek, Aug 16, 2006.

1. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

The bounty of summer- 12 lbs of various tomatoes from the garden, including Green Zebra, Oaxacan Pink, Fantastic, Stupice, Saucy, and Striped Roman.

Attached Files:

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Not bad. A little scrawny, referring to the size.
    Durgan.

3. silver_creek

Ah, but big beefsteaks do not make the best salsa, the main reason we grow tomatoes! And as a side note, the collander is a commercial collander, quite a bit bigger than your average kitchen collander.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  4. |sloth

|sloth Member

Prolly shoulda posted here first.. But those look YUMMY! What are the best tomatoes for salsa anyway? I have a number of toms growing in my garden, mostly Oregon State University hybrids suited for our valley and it's climate.

I love salsa and usually base my garden around my salsa needs, mmmmMmm.

bye :)

5. silver_creek

The best salsa tomatoes are the ones you can get! But if you're growing them, the paste or Roma types work well, as they have more flesh and less juice. We can lots of salsa each year, and salsa made with "eating" or "slicing" tomatoes is a bit juicy and tends to separate in the canning process. The sauce tomatoes in the picture are Saucy and Striped Roman, with quite a few Stupice and a few Green Zebras and Oaxacan Pink for flavor.