Pros and cons of using carbaryl

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by fluffypuffmarshmallows, Aug 13, 2006.

1. fluffypuffmarshmallows

fluffypuffmarshmallows Member

Hello! I am considering using a granular form of carbaryl to get rid of the carpenter ants and demonic-looking earwigs that keep invading my little house, but I'm hesitant because the lable names a lot of other bugs I consider harmless among those it will kill, such as grasshoppers and crickets. I was trying to find a granule that the ants and earwigs carry back to their nests, thus destroying the colony, but now the lable doesn't specify how it works. I'm wondering if I should return it and if anyone can suggest something else that would target these insects more specifically.

Thanks for your advice,
    Heather

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is a link to an article about carpenter ants in the house, and in the column on the left of the article is a link to an article on earwigs: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/node/3. The strategy you choose depends on how serious the problem is, and it really helps to learn about the behavior of carpenter ants. They are great to have outdoors, but if they are possibly nesting somewhere in the structure, then you must act to protect your home.