UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Araceae

Araceae Aroids - Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

split leaf philodendron

trying to send a pic of this plant ,wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to get starters from it .

Its a split leaf philodendron
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree1.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	15436  

Last edited by Daniel Mosquin; August 7th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Re: split leaf philodendron

when it gets big enough it will shoot out some "pups" at the base of its main stem.when cutting these make sure to get as many roots as possible.i have three in my yard and have gotten one to grow,water in well and keep moist.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research Friends of the Garden

Referring to Plant Propagation by Alan Toogood, there are many ways to propagate a split leaf philodendron, also known as Monstera deliciosa. Go down to the base to find a stem that you can cut off containing two nodes (where two leaves join the stem). Place in a easily draining rooting medium, place in a area 20-25 degrees celcius. Cuttings can be placed vertically or horizontally in pots. You can also layer your plant by taking a long stem and placing it in a rooting media.
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

The Monstera is a vine, and the photo is showing a P.selloum. toutlan nailed it. It will throw 'pups' which can be separated.
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

The philodendron selloum can easily be grown from seed.

To take seed from your own plant is a mission.

Buy seed from a commercial supplier. Mostly holland. I can supply details if you want.

Remember seed needs light to germinate, so place medium in seedling tray, wet well and put seed on surface. Cover tray with glass to keep moisture in. Retain moisture at all costs. And the glass cover makes sure light is provided.

Could take up to 4 weeks before germination takes place.

When seedling is bout 1 inch tall, transplant into second stage tray before final planting.
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Collector of Rare Araceae (deceased)

Hate to jump in here but the correct name is actually Philodendron bipinnatifidum Schott ex Endl. Selloum is the commonly used name but that name is not recognized botanically on any of the plant name sites such as TROPICOS or International Plant Names Index. In time the plant will reproduce itself and you'll likely wish it didn't. I once bought 40 of them to plant in a bed out front of our home when we lived in Florida. In 3 years they were 6 feet tall and there had to be at least twice as many as when I started. Depending on where you live you can often find these plants inexpensively at local discount stores and seeds are always an option if you really want to wait awhile to see them grow. If you give the plant very bright light and plenty of water (they love water) it will eentually produce a spathe (flower) and spadix. When it does that you can collect your own seed. But that can take awhile.
Corresponding Secretary, International Aroid Society To join the IAS visit www.Aroid.org
Post New ThreadReply