Low Maintenance Plants for Elderly

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by 3DogsinMyGarden, Aug 5, 2006.

1. 3DogsinMyGarden

3DogsinMyGarden Member

Does UBC or any local sources have lists of recommended plants for the lower mainland?
    I'm looking to redo some of my mom's yard to make it more manageable for her(she is 85). I want something that will grow well in the climate, soil, and that isn't bothered by pests. I am thinking of evergreens-conifers, shrubs and grasses. Then I will mulch the beds and one of the children or grandkids will have to come in to do seasonal maintenance.
    What are your thougts? some dwarf conifers? rhodos? potentila? what do you think of grasses and which?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's an older thread on the subject, though there are only a few recommendations.

I would say the best low-maintenance plantings would be natives - adapted to the climate and the seasonal drought.

As for your suggestions, dwarf conifers do very well here at UBC, though caution must be taken in selection to avoid pest-friendly cultivars.

I've the impression that grasses generally require maintenance, but I'm not a horticulturist, so perhaps someone else will pipe up on that issue.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

SOME natives are adapted to seasonal drought. Others grow only where soils stay moist, or make best growth and appearance there.

Locally written 'The Easy Garden' with list of low maintenance plants for this region is at

http://www.colvoscreeknursery.com/notes.htm