Eucharis grandiflora/amazonica care?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I was wondering if anyone out there has a Eucharis grandiflora/amazonica?

I purchased some bulbs a year ago, potted them up and they grew. There are about 20 leaves (from 3 bulbs). I guess what I am wondering if when I can expect some blooms? I acquired another bulbous plant (Haemanthus albiflos), and had to wait 3 years before it bloomed. It seemed to need to be mature, and seriously pot-bound. Perhaps the Eucharis is the same?

So if anyone has more detailed info on how to care for them...

I have mine in a West window, right in the window. It gets the evening sun. I had it in a South window, away from direct light, but the leaves turned light green, so I moved it to the West window. The leaves darkened up. It has grown in that window, so I think I have the right location.

I've been fertilizing lightly and 1/4 strength. I'm not sure if it would like a holiday outside where I have many other houseplants. The leaves are quite brittle, so I though not, as we can get some pretty strong winds in Victoria.

So that's the care I've been giving it. Any insider tips, or obvious omissions would be appreciated!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Very little will bloom without good light, and rather than react to leaf color, give it a chance outside (in light shade if you're more comfortable) and see what happens. Also, why be so stingy with fertilizer?

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

But that is where you are wrong. The plant is getting good light. Also it comes from South America under the forest canopy. Trying to emulate that is best I think.

As far as fertilizer, people over-fertilize period. I prefer to go 1/4 strength, on a damp plant. This is indicated in many reference sources as a safe and appropriate way to fertilize. I have followed this approach, and have never experience fertilizer burn. When I repotted the plant, I mixed in several amendments to add organic matter, and have top-dressed the plant this year with compost. That will provide some nutrients. The organic, soluble fertilize I add will do the rest. Also without knowing what kind of exact location they grow in, one should always be cautious don't you think?

Do you have any experience with Eucharis?

4. BarrySewall

BarrySewall Member

I also own a Eucharis grandiflora that I want to bloom but have'nt had any luck, so I called Logee's Greenhouses were I purchased this plant. Whomever I talk to told me that the Eucharis grandiflora does need to be rootbound to encourage flowering.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Even though they have been badly confused in the literature, Eucharis grandiflora and E. amazonica are two different species.

Logee's is offering E. amazonica (not E. grandiflora)

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1756-2

Why do you want to grow Eucharis in Australia?

Your four native Proiphys (formerly Eurycles) species are very similar in appearence and far more interesting. All four are worth growing.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp14/proiphys-genus.html

The website doesn't include the recently described Proiphys infundibularis from Queensland.

Jones, D. L. & Dowe, J.L. (2001) Proiphys infundibularis (Amaryllidaceae), a new species from the Townsville region of Queensland. Austrobaileya 6 (1): 121-126, 4 figs.