Pachera Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by busch, Jul 12, 2006.

1. busch

busch Member

I have a pachera plant that is not doing well in the last couple of moths. Leaves are drying and falling off as well as new shoots looking good but turning brown and drooping as if wilted. Larger leaves are sometimes irregular and disfigured. What suggestions are available to correct this situation? Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

What are you doing with it - how much light, how much water, how often do you water, what kind of soil is it in, etc.? Without knowing those, it's hard to say what to change.

3. busch

busch Member

Rima: Thanks for your comments; I should have given that information! The plant is approv. 33 inches tall from bottom of pot to top of plant. It is planted in good indoor planting soil in a pot approx. 9.5 inches in diameter at top of pot. The plant was directly in a West facing window but a few months ago, out of necessity had to be moved away from the window but is about 4 or 5 feet away from the window. I was watering the plant approx. every two weeks with about 1.5 cups of water with HiSol 20-20-20, and the plant was doing well. I thought that I was not supplying enough water so increased the amount to the point where I could see the water running out at the bottom, and disposed of the excess water. Hope this information helps in providing a solution to the problem. Thank you.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

i would move it back to were ya had it before and go back to the amount of water you were givieng it before .. sounds like it did not like the change at all ..

Marn

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, back off the water, and next time you repot get it into a fast draining mix with lots of grit in it (even perlite) because potting soil holds water too long and its roots are so sparse they can't handle it.

6. busch

busch Member

Thanks Rima and Marn: I will be following your advice and hope to be successful. I'll let you know if there is any improvement. Irma

7. 81044

81044 Active Member

I have had mine in both direct sunlight and in bright indirect light...seemed to be fine in both...what is really hates is to be watered too often..I let it really dry out each time...hope this helps

8. busch

busch Member

Thanks to all of you who replied. I think my biggest problem was deciding to water this plant more than I was doing, thinking I was neglecting it. Now that I have cut back on the watering it seems to be more stable. I will be repotting it into a larger container and will be adding some grit, as suggested. I Busch

9. grimm 1

grimm 1 Member

Pachera don't do well if watered too often, let the soil dry a little between waterings. Also an excell,ent soil for this plant is a cactus and palm soil ,with 10% sand and a handful or two of pearlite. Miracle-Gro has a soil blend that works well, but don't fertilize for at least 2 months for outside plants or 3-4 months for indoor plants.
    One more thing, all plants, even so called indoor plants like going outside from time to time, i.e. gentle sumer rain or overcast days for indoor tropicals like the Pachera. Pachera will yellow if kept in too much direct sun.