Planting 30-yr Norfolk in ground

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Rikki1, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Rikki1

Rikki1 Member

I have grown my 30yr Norfolk Island Pine from very young, and it has been repotted a number of times over the years ... remaining in my bay window with west/north/east daylight exposure. As it outgrew its space, two years ago I cut accross the trunk below the branches, and three trees have sprouted into a 4ft tall tree w/1ft roots.

Question: As it is once again outgrowing the space I have, I want to plant it in the ground. Understandably, the roots may be somewhat comprimised, although they looked workable when last repotte (15" pot). What are your suggestions for a successful transition from inside pot to outside ground?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Roots can just be opened up a bit at planting. The bigger problem is that you topped it. Select most vigorous top and cut off others, hope that remaining replacement top does not break off at point of attachment years later.

3. Rikki1

Rikki1 Member

Thank you for your very quick response, Ron. Would you please elaborate a bit on the possible problems resulting from "topping" the Norfolk Pine?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Replacement tops come off of side of original stem, may break off years later when of sufficient weight.

5. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

yes Norfolk island pine does grow in San Francisco , if you go to San Francisco's Golden Gate park you can see the nofolk island pines growing there, i thought this might help. I have two pines one is a 2 footer and the the other is a 3 or 4 footer, they are my favorite house plant. Wyatt Reinhart