UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Garden Pest Management and Identification

Garden Pest Management and Identification UBC Botanical Garden advocates the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Post New ThreadReply

Old July 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

white stuff on Scarlet Oak

does anyone know what this could be on the trunk of this Scarlet Oak? It has just began this week. It is occuring in a line of Scarlet Oaks. The white foam is located from the top of the main leader, on scaffold limbs, all the way down the trunk. The leader and limbs are starting to severely crack and split. The foam is very stinky, like yeast.
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	scarlet oak.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	14464  

Last edited by Dixie; July 12th, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Re: white stuff on Scarlet Oak

I think I have figured it out. It seems to be "alcoholic flux" or "white flux" a bacteria that enters through wounds that ferments the sap causing it to ooze. Since the sap ferments it forms gas. This gas needs to be released due to pressure build up so it has to find a way out. I think this is what the cracks are from. There isn't a prevention or control method. Now I will focus on preventing other invaders like borers from entering these new wounds.
Post New ThreadReply