Identification: please help with this one??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by alanna, Jul 10, 2006.

1. alanna

alanna Member

I got this plant and I have no Idea what it is or how to take care of it?? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
    Alanna

Attached Files:

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

That is a Begonia masoniana (iron cross begonia). I have one that is huge, and very happy so I'll give it a go. Mine is getting bright diffuse light. A south facing window, but away from the sunbeams. It could also take an east facing window, followed by a west facing. The point is bright, but diffuse light. If you do put it in the east window, I would be tempted to put it right by the window.

Begonias like humidity, which I have resolved by having mine near my kitchen dish drain tray, and have grouped it with some ferns. Anyway, humidity. Perhaps a pebble tray, or double potting. I also have a mister close by for many squirts during the day, but I don't think that is essential. Oh, I've just read you are in Alberta. I'm an Alberta-born, so be careful of the heat source in the winter. A pebble tray and misting may be essential in your case.

I repot mine into a high peat soil mix with plenty of vermiculite, perlite and a bit of washed sand mixed in. Seems to like it very much.

Right now I am fertilizing with an organic, soluble fertilizer with a low profile (4-2-3) which it seems to like very much. I stop fertilizing mid August. Hardens it off for dormancy.

The plant goes into a semi-dormancy through the winter and does not grow hardly at all. Reduce watering somewhat, but in your case be careful it doesn't dry out completely. It may look sick through the winter, but will start to come around in the spring. Cut it back, repot, and water/fertilize.

These begonias, like the Rex begonias, respond very well to cuttings from rhizomes, leaf pieces, and whole leaves. This is necessary every few years as they become overgrown.

Well I hope this helps. I'm impressed that you have found one in your locale. They come up for sale every so often and then seem to disappear for years as the growers lose favor with them. Enjoy.

3. alanna

alanna Member

Just a quick note to say THANKS Chester, you where very helpfull. I sure hope I can keep it alive. Have a great day, and again thank you so much for the help.

Alanna

4. Chester

No problem, it was nice to talk to someone from home...

5. alanna

alanna Member

Good morning Chester, I need your help again. My "iron cross" is not doing well!!! Can you please give me some advice??

Attached Files:

6. Chester

Gosh, that does look like it's having a bad day alright.

Just a few questions for you fellow Albertanite. What location has the plant been in? What kind of watering practices have you followed? What time of the day do you water? Do you water the soil, or the entire plant? (Are the leaves misted/watered a lot?), What has the weather been like there? Have you been fertilizing, and if so, what kind of fertilizer?

The photos, while good, show that it could be several things. Bacterial or fungal disease, or possible some kind of sun or fertilizer damage, or even a combination. I'd like to hear your answers first though...

7. alanna

alanna Member

Well to start with I must thank you for your help since I did not do so earlier. Anyways, when we first got this plant I had it out in direct sunlight, but after reading your care for this plant I brought it inside where it now get sun but not direct and I have yet to fertilize it and as far a water I give it a drink usually every 3 to 4 days, and now I have started just misting it, because I was unsure as to what was going on with this little guy. And the weather of the past couple of weeks has been very damp and cold. Please help???

Thanks again
    Alanna

8. Chester

Hey, my pleasure. These begonias are beauties, so I can understand the distress.

Well it kind of looks like powdery mildew (fungus), but it could be another fungal, or even bacterial disease. I kind of suspected sunburn as well, but if the plant is not in the direct sun, then not that. If you haven't been fertilizing, then not fertilizer burn.

So in short, I don't know for certain what it is, but I suspect powdery mildew. It infects plants in low humidity and dry weather, but not exclusively. Spores germinate more quickly in humid conditions, but the presence of water on the leaves stops spores from germinating. The infection can spread rapidly in late summer and fall, and this is also when the plants have more susceptible (older) leaves.

Cut off the worst affected leaves and stems. In between cuts, dunk scissors in a 10% bleach solution to avoid infecting healthy tissue. Rinse knife or scissors well after to prevent corrosion of your tools. Generally washing of the leaves is recommended with powdery mildew, but since there is a risk that this is some other fungal disease, I do not recommend it. They would enjoy the wet leaves. There is some evidence that a milk and water mixture can control the powdery mildews. 1 part milk to 9 parts water sprayed on the leaves weekly is the recommendation. Also I would topdress the soil with a thin layer of new soil to bury spores that may be there.

That looks like a fairly large pot, and watering every 3-4 days may be too much. Now if that puppy is absolutely rootbound, watering every 3-4 days may be just right. Overwatering will stress the plant and make the plant more susceptible to attack by disease/organisms. Conversely a dry, and therefore stressed plant, can invite mildews, although the Iron Cross begonias are pretty vocal about being too dry. All of the leaves droop. Occasionally we all forget, but habitual wilting could cause problems. Check your care tactics possibly.

Well I gave it my best guess. Hope this helps.

9. alanna

alanna Member

Good morning Chester, I am just sending you a quick update on my little baby.... He is doing alot better I took all of you advice, and cut everything back and gave it a mild bath, and also fresh soil. Even though it looks so thin, ok almost non existant, it has already got alot of new growth. Thank you so very much for all of your time and help with this little guy. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again I really do apreciate all that you have done.

Alanna