Phalaenopsis orchid care

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by bellegurl, Jun 16, 2006.

1. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Hello, again, folks! I bought a phalaenopsis orchid last October. It was in full bloom then. After the blooms finished, I cut back the stalk of the blooms. I have not had any sign of a bloom since. My question is: do these orchids bloom more than once a year, or do I have to wait till October? Bear in mind, the plant is being watered and fertilized regularly. I also see a tiny leaf growing, although two have fallen. In total, there are two fully-grown leaves, and one tiny one growing. Am I doing something wrong? Or omitting something? Or do I just need patience to wait till October? Help!

2. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Hey, guys--please help me with this problem! I am a fairly new gardener, and I don't want to kill this beautiful plant. I want it to be as perfect as it was when I bought it--blooms and all!

3. cactologist

cactologist Member

I'm not an orchid expert, but I'll try an answer. You probably do need patience, even if you do everything right. Many orchids are seasonal bloomers so yours may not bloom again until fall. In order to bloom it needs bright light during the day; warm days (80-90F) with a 10 degree drop at night; and most Phals are short-day plants (like Poinsettias) so need like 14 hours of darkness to initiate flowering. Good luck.

4. bellegurl

bellegurl Member

Thanks very much! I'll try it!

5. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

You need patients with phals, they are slow growing. To bloom they need a good 15 degree temperature difference as well for a number of weeks. Keep the soil mix moist, bright filtered light. Remember to feed it, I use half strength orchid food every other watering.

Tom

6. Cyre

Cyre Member

I have one of these orchids I bought at Lowe's, and after the blooms fell off (they lasted almost 3 months), the leaves are really growing well. My question is, are those roots that are snaking up out of the moss? If so, what should I do with them? I'm thinking this is a sign the plant needs a larger pot.

Thanx in advance!!

7. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

A good indicator of the health of a Phalaenopsis is the quality of the root system. Generally exposed aerial roots are white with green tips and should turn bright green when wet. Roots within the pot may not be as white but should still have green tips (most orchids should be repotted every 1-2 years in the same or slightly bigger pot). If you have a healthy root system then the next growth factor to check would be light quality and duration. Although Phals are considered a low light orchid I find many growing in light conditions that are too low for the plant to thrive (north facing or just to far away from a window). As long as the plant is still growing that's good sign. Good luck.

Shaun