UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Fruit and Nut Trees

Fruit and Nut Trees Plant Care, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old October 28th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Asian Apple Pear Tree

I recently ate what was called an Asian Apple Pear. Does anyone know whether these trees can be sucessfully grown in Prescott, AZ? The elevation is about 5000 feet with 4 mild seasons.

Thanks
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:43 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

I don't think it would be a problem. China and Japan are the world's leading producers, and that suggests they grow well in a variety of climates. From what I've read on the subject, the only danger you might have in Arizona are cold winter nights - they need to be kept as frost-free as possible. At that elevation, I suspect you may have to plant it in a sheltered spot.

Here are some helpful sites:

Asian pear from Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service

Nashi from Fruttilandia (doesn't seem to be a commercial site)

Asian pears from the Farms of Amador project, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources

Daniel Mosquin
Research Manager
UBC Botanical Garden | BC Flora | John Davidson
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Re: Asian Apple Pear Tree

I don't think you will have a problem about being to cold, I have two asian pear trees and I live in Idaho. A colder part of Idaho to boot. They do very well and the fruit is excellant. Drying the fruit makes a very good snack of which is very tasty...The two I have are dwarf trees and are not that big compared to some of my other dwarf trees I have...
Post New ThreadReply