Acer saccharum 'Brocade'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by schusch, Jun 2, 2006.

1. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi.

I have planted an acer saccharum 'Brocade' a couple of years ago, and it's about 10 feet now. The wind bends the new branches pretty heavily - possibly because of the nice big leaves - making it pretty impossible to maintain a straight leader.

Can anyone tell me what an older saccharum 'Brocade' looks like - how tall, how wide, etc, so that I can think about how to prune, if necessary. I read something about 20 feet.

It's difficult to find out details about that tree - as far as I understand it was found in the wild? Anyone know more?

Thanks.

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, it was found in the wild near Croton Falls, NY in 1974. Van Gelderen (1999) describes it as a medium-sized tree with more or less erect branching. Barrett, in Maples (Firefly 2004), writes that Brocade makes a striking contrast [to the species]. It is a smaller grower, sporting golden-yellow fall leaves. 30 ft. by 15 ft. (10 m by 5 m) Zones 4-8. Frankly, it seems to have an oval shape in some of the online photographs; it looks like a beautiful tree.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Main feature would be cut leaves. Looks like 'Sweet Shadow'.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=saccharum+brocade&sa=N&tab=wi

Two local records for 'Sweet Shadow' are

44' x 5'0" (1995), Renton, WA
    48' x 2'9" (1993), Bothell, WA

Ref: Van Pelt, CHAMPION TREES OF WASHINGTON STATE

If 'Brocade' is as vigorous as 'Sweet Shadow' it should be expected to also grow well above 20', which is a quite short for a sugar maple.

4. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, Laurie and Ron B -

the size info is precious. I can better understand what the branches are doing. The tree is pretty striking because of its leaves that are so deeply cut. Worth a try for anyone who likes sugar maples.

For some reason it's difficult to maintain a leader on this tree - not that I need an absolutely straight tree. Everything is fine up to 6 feet, then the stem/branch was cut twice (already before I got it). Now I am dealing with the wind bouncing off the house and pushing the branches forward on top. I have another sugar maple (saccharum sacharum) that doesn't have this propensity to excessively bend - may it's the heavy leaves?

Anyway, thanks. Fascinating that this tree was found in the wild.