UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Garden Pest Management and Identification

Garden Pest Management and Identification UBC Botanical Garden advocates the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Post New ThreadReply

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Something is eating my tree leaves

Hi,

I have several maple trees in my back yard whose leaves are being eaten. I have seen 1 or 2 small green inch worms, but I have not been able to recognize the type. I have also noticed a large amount of tiny little black dots ( like small black seeds) all over my car and furniture. I dont know what to do. I am cleaning the deck every other day because of the large amount of black dots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:16 AM
E pluribus unum.

Re: Something is eating my tree leaves

black dots likely = frass, aka bug poop. The inchworms sound like a looper of some sort, around here I would say bruce spanworm would be the likely culprit, it may be the same little beast out your way. BtK is a good control product but depending on the cycle it may be too late to spray for this season. consider tanglefoot paste in the fall and BtK next spring about the middle to end of april.
Paul Buikema, CLP - Retail, I.S.A. Certified Arborist. Certified Tree Risk Assessor, 2003 BCLNA Young Member of the Year, 2010 BCLNA Member of the Year, BC Arborist Technician Supervision & Sign Off Authority
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Thank you for the information.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

I also noticed a tree like that in my area, and the tree they where on will never look the same.