Chilli flowering

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by M&J, May 26, 2006.

1. M&J

M&J Member

Hi!

It is the first time I'm cultivating chilli peppers.

I'm affraid there is some problem with their flowering.

I have a "common" chilli pepper (I live in Portugal), maybe a "Rooster Spur", or something that looks like it. I got the plant with about 20cm high, already potted, and changed it to a 35cm diameter pot. I used comercial vegetable soil, and I'm generous with watering (but I avoid to let water lay in the dish). The pot is at my quitchen's window (indoors), facing north (no direct sun). It is middle spring here (Lisbon), and we are having 14 hours of day light, a 25-30ºC outside, and I water spray it often (2-3 times per day).

I fed it twice with NKP fertilizer and, in about 45 days, the plant grew to 110cm, branched out several times, and I have already started to pinch out the growing sprouts in the higher parts of it.

It started to produce flower buds as it was growing, the first ones appeared 2 weeks ago, but no one did blossom yet. In the elder ones I can distinguish a white part separated from the green calyx.

The plant looks healthy, but I'm suspicious about this 2 week period of non blossoming buds...

Do you think I might have any problem? Do I water or sprinkle too much?

When do you think I should stop NPK feeding the plants? After the fruits are fully grown? Or before that?

Thanks in advance!

2. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

My husband just started growing various pepper plants this year here are some links that I have found relating to growing peppers.
    From what you have written and what I've read the lack of flower bloom could be too much N. I've read that lack of flower bloom is generally due to too much nitrogen, too much heat or not enough water. as you have your plants inside where it is not TOO hot and have been watering sufficiently it might be too much Nitrogen..
    These are only things I have read.. but maybe it will help..
    Hope these links help.. Good luck!!!
    Gina *BabyBlue*

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/academic.html?i=1274&s=sub

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/docs/CHILE/Growing%20Tips.pdf

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1618.html

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/NWREC/pepper.html

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Peppers need acid soil. I have success by feeding a cup of vinegar diluted in water every so often. I usually grow one or two hot chilli plants and get about 100 fruits. I dry them in the sun and still have a bag full from last year. I grow them mostly to admire just how many peppers are produced, since I cannot possibly eat them and most people do not want any. I find a plant so prolific interesting, and it is always a good conversation piece with visitors. I even have the odd person try one. There is usually an interesting reaction.

Durgan.

4. M&J

M&J Member

Hi!

Thanks for your interest. My chilli flowers started blossoming about 1 week ago. :)

The weather temperature raised in the past week, so maybe that was the problem... I really don't know. Maybe my unexperience made me too anxious :)

I'm going to check the links you suggested to learn more about these plants, even because I'm having a different problem about chilli flowering: in my kitchen there are also 2 pots with a different chilli cultivar (safi, I think), and these are letting all the flower buds, one after another, get yellow and fall. If I can't find information, I'll make a new thread of this subject.

Thanks again
    M&J

5. M&J

M&J Member

Thanks for your interest, Durgan.

I'm going to try this vinegar tip of yours.

I understand what you are saying: my common chilli has allready about 50-60 flowers/buds, and its still growing... I can't imagine what am I going to do with all these chillies... I think I will make presents of them, and try to give it to friens and relatives... :)

M&J

6. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

Durgan, Thanks for the tip! I'm going to pass that on to hubby.
    M&J, good luck!! hope the links help!!
    I grew up in South west USA and grew up on spicy food. Having moved to central states food around here is rather bland.. We are growing the peppers because we miss the hot food in New Mexico. Looking forward to Fresh roasted peppers!!
    My brother picked up a 50 pound bag of Hatch green chilies on a trip to New Mexico a few yrs back. the bag was gone with in a couple of months!!! So I don't think these plants can keep up with us.. LOL The neighbors sure loved the smell while I was roasting them on the grill outside..

Gina *BabyBlue*