UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Garden Pest Management and Identification

Garden Pest Management and Identification UBC Botanical Garden advocates the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Post New ThreadReply

Old May 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Flies in my plant pots!

Hi every one!

I have a balcony which is facing towards the south -east corner.So I get the sunlight for the whole day.I have few tomato plants,few Aloe vera, a rose plant,few basils and rosemarry plant.

In a big pot I am also making my own compost with the pulp of raw vegetables and fruits,which is always coverd with potting soil.

I do not know why since few days there are millions of very tiny black flies every where in my balcony and on the wet pots.
If I keep the balcony door open some of the flies escapes to the room too and keep flying around.They do not bite ,but it is very irritating.

My plants are also not growing so well.I do not know how to get rid of these flies.Can they be harmful for my plants.

If any one faced the same problem ,please give me some solution to get rid of these flies.

thanks
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Re: Flies in my plant pots!

Sounds like fungus gnats. They are probably so prolific because of the rotting fruit pulp. The gnats feed on the fungi that decompose organic matter. The gnats will also populate the soils of potted plants if the plants have similar decaying organic matter. The gnats don't directly harm the plants, but if they are apparent in the plant's soil it may be an indication that the roots are rotting due to excessive moisture or poor drainage.
--Hope that helps
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Quote:
The gnats don't directly harm the plants
if a root gets in the way of their feeding they eat straight through that as well.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM

Flies in my pot

Hi every one.

I got some suggestions and replies for my problem.Thanks for that.But I want a little specific answer.Can any one tell me what should I do to over come this flies problem.I have already stopped over watering the plants ,I have even stopped using the compost which I made from pulp of the fruits,and have dried that compost to death.I am using new potting soil and have changed the old one.But the flies are not gone.They are increasing every day.
Is there some kind of chemical spray which can help me get rid of this problem.
Please help

Thanks
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM
former UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research Staff

I will avoid recommendation for chemical control. You are certainly taking the right steps in controlling the problem. In order to get rid soil-dwelling larvae it is important to reduce the moisture. As for the flying adults you could place a couple sticky traps in the plant, near the soil and replace them as necessary. Here is a link with recommendations for biological control. There are a few soil-dwelling organisms which are a better solution for your outdoor plants.

Raakel
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM

Hi
Thanks for your reply and helpful suggestions .Can you please write as from where I can buy this sticky trap.Will this sticky trap work inside house too.Because some of the fungus gnat have escaped inside the house and no matter how much I kill every day,their number remains the same .

Please let me know from where can I buy these sticky traps.

Thanks
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:41 PM
Indoor Gardener

Here is an example of sticky traps.
Post New ThreadReply