Identification: Not sure if this is an "indoor plant", but need ID, please!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jinru, May 5, 2006.

1. jinru

jinru Member

Hi there,

Someone gave me this plant but has no idea what it is. I've been trying to identify it with random searches on Google, but have been largely unsuccessful.

As you can see from the first photo, it seems to grow blade leaves in several parallel rows or axes, so that each section of it looks fan-like. I think I might have overwatered it, because many of the tips are turning yellow and emitting a brown sap. I don't think this had a rhizome, it seemed to have a fibrous root structure when I was replanting it. The "leaf bud" pictured in the second photo seems like a huge clue to me. It is shooting out of a major leaf blade, long and thin and from a central core that runs up the stem. I've been told by the original owner that I can somehow take this and replant it and it'll grow a new plant. I don't know what the specific name of this kind of vegetative reproduction is, though, so it's hard for me to search on.

Some people who I've shown this to think it's either from the iris family or perhaps a daylily, but I suspect it's neither. I don't enough about plant identification though to really get further myself, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

im sure its not Iris confusa, but a search may lead to a similar type of Iris.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

It could be some type of orchid, especially with the bud coming out of the leaf like that, so try posting on the orchid forum to see if anyone recognizes it (and don't put it outside til you're sure!).