Landscape design books?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Manzanita1, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Manzanita1

Manzanita1 Member

I have a blank slate and want some reading material for design basics...

Thank you

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Any particular style you want, so one could narrow down the list of possibilites.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Grant, GARDEN DESIGN ILLUSTRATED. Classic reprinted many times, appearing fairly regularly at used bookstore I frequent.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. Manzanita1

Manzanita1 Member

Thank you everyone...I just ordered Garden Design Illustrated last week. I also have Gardening with Grasses Michael King, Piet Oudolf...Tracy Disabato, The Well designed Mixed Garden and some others...I grew up in the landscape trade and was learning from my father. He passed away at 52 so everything changed from that point on. I have good bones so you could say, but now I seem to be second guessing myself and need some direction.

thank you again

7. Carol Ja

I find that customers of my hubbie (Landscape Architect) do better off with garden style mags and books, then if your doing it yourself, you need to switch to 'how to books' after you know what you want, and modify what you see to what you want. Most 'How to books' only give a few ideas that are usually fairly generic, and more instruction on the hands on with details.
    First you need to decide style: Pacific West Coast, Japanese, English Cottage Garden, Mediterrainian, they all have distinct building requirements in their styles, so narrowing down can be helpful. Plants are the last thing on the list, as they work with a design, to enhance the look. Once you know the overall look you want you move on to designing the structures and hard scape. Where you want them, how they work with what you have already, and most importantly how it will affect the house (drainage...)
    There are a number of design books that are good , also for those who have home computers, there are programs that you can get easily that can give you basic designs.
    If all else fails, you can go with a designer (check references, and previous gardens first.)

A couple of books that have been helpful, but not straight out design yourself books, The garden design source book by David Stevens ISBN# 1-55192-003-4
    and incase you have a really small city lot, The Royal Hort. Society really small gardens by Jill Billington ISBN#1-902757-06-8.
    Both of my copies are looking a bit ratty from all the customers that have used them.

8. Jacky

Jacky Member

Piet Oudolf's "Designing with plants" is also excellent - just used it to help while I rennovated the back garden! Loved how he divided up the shapes of the plants (spires, umbels, buttons etc). Made it very easy for a neo like me. He frequently includes grasses in his designs.

Good luck!

9. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

John Brookes' Garden Design is a comprehensive book that focuses more on the structural design aspects rather than plant selection. Depending on what you are looking for it might be a good one.

Raakel

10. Carol Ja

Oh thats a good one, I forgot about it.

11. Elite

Elite Member

12. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I also like John Brookes. I have a copy of his book, 'smallgarden'.
    It's a how to book. It covers design, structure and planting. There also case studies for difficult spaces like steps, narrow city passageways and basement apartment spaces. At the back is a pictorial plant identification section. Chapters in Vancouver has it or you can order from the publisher at
    www.dk.com
    Better to find it in a bookstore as it is more expensive online.
    There's a wealth of information for the novice balcony or small space owner.

13. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

14. easygardeningsecrets.blogspot.

easygardeningsecrets.blogspot. Member

Hello, Welcome to the fun and exciting world of gardening! It can get pretty complicated when you start reading lots of different gardening information. Don't let the technical information overwhelm you. When I started gardening I suffered from thechnical overload and almost gave up. That's why I decided to compile a list of information that was simple to use, works great, and gives me phenomenal results quickly. Feel free to visit my website for some great tips that should get you started out successfully and easily! Best of luck!

15. James Golden

James Golden Member

I recommend books that you can get excited about. Get several, then read and look, read and look. Look at nature, at botanic gardens, at other people's gardens. And imitate. You'll feel your way to what you like. Timber Press in Oregon is a very good source of books on garden design and horticulture. Check out anything written by Noel Kingsbury, Piet Oudolf, Michael King, Dan Pearson. All of these are representative of the New Perennial Style. If your preferences tend toward the naturalistic, wilder looking garden, these will serve you well. Most important, select plants that match the conditions of your site--climate, soil, moisture, exposure, light. For basics on garden design, read John Brookes. You can find several of his books (used) on Amazon.com at greatly reduced prices.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006