Osmanthus heterophyllus Tricolor

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bcgift52, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Would be interested to know if anyone is growing this and if it is fragrant. The only website I can find that lists this as fragrant is Esveld.

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I have grown this, and other Osmanthus heterophyllus, and do not notice the fragrance. In comparison, I consider Osmanthus burkwoodii a must for winter fragrance for both the garden and bouquets in the house.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Variegatus'? 'Goshiki'? 'Variegatus' has scattered tiny flowers, at least when small. Large plants of green O. heterophyllus forms can give off quite an aroma during suitable weather. I walked near one last autumn that I smelled long before I saw it. These also have the advantage of being hardy. O. delavayi and O. burkwoodii actually get burned occasionally, even here in USDA 8.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Oops, too late - I got it but it was cheap and 15% off day. I guess this is a case of catching the right moment because I find my burkwoodii to be not so fragrant although it isn't that big yet but in November I got a whiff of UBC's Goshiki from quite a ways off. So now I'll have to keep a lookout for the green o.heterophyllus.