UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Garden Pest Management and Identification

Garden Pest Management and Identification UBC Botanical Garden advocates the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Post New ThreadReply

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Flies new to Jade plant

My gorgeous, lush, healthy jade plant has gone through stress lately due to a new kitten... and is now a skeleton. In the midst of all this, I've just a few days ago noticed a few flies (very small) around the pot. I've heard that jades are susceptible to insects when stressed. It gets tonnes of sunshine, is not overwatered, no standing water, nothing. It's been perfect for 8 years, until of course, the kitten decided to play in, climb on, sleep in and chew it. Any ideas of the bug, and more importantly, treatment? I've taken a few of the stalks that have fallen off (again, because of kitten climbing!) and have immediately put them in water to root in case this one doesn't make it. Can anyone help?
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Re: Flies new to Jade plant

They won't root in water... take them out and put them on a shelf for 2 days til they're dry, then stick them in a pot of barely-moist soil and wait for new growth. You say it's not 'overwatered', but what's your version of that? It's winter and they really only need a (good) drink once a month, if that.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Thanks for the heads up on the rooting, I had no idea.

As for the watering, I only water about once a month right now. They're quite easy to take care of which I love! Any ideas on the flies? Anything to get rid of them?
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Hi, I mentioned the flies because I thought things might have been kept too damp in the area (?), but if not, have you tried either Safer's Soap spray, or Trounce? Not knowing if they're fungus gnats (those really tiny pesty things that show up when it's too damp), or something else, it's hard to say exactly. A dehumidifier (if you already have one anyhow) might be worth a try, or else even a change of soil.
Post New ThreadReply