Questions about Redwoods

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by jonny5cal, Jan 30, 2006.

1. jonny5cal

jonny5cal Member

We have some very tall Redwoods on our property and they're currently getting branches trimmed off to control the root growth. The tree guys doing it seem to know what they're doing, but the tree now seems very bare, with the branches very sparse. They say redwoods grow back fast and the branches should all come back fully. Can anyone that knows anything about redwoods verify this?

Thanks

2. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not all Coastal Redwoods grow the same or
    respond in the same manner from pruning.
    It might be prudent to tell us which Redwood
    such as 'Aptos Blue', 'Los Altos', 'Woodside'
    etc.. We will also need to know the location
    of the trees as a pruned or thinned 'Soquel'
    grown here may behave a whole lot differently
    than a 'Santa Cruz', let's say grown in San
    Mateo, will.

What was wrong with the root systems? Were
    the roots starting to become invasive, too much
    root system above ground or was their not enough
    root system? What are the qualifications of the
    people doing the work?

Jim

3. jonny5cal

jonny5cal Member

Hmm, good questions. I'm in the Bay Area, more specifically, along the peninsula. i'm not sure exactly what kind of redwood it is, but i don't think it's anything too much out of the ordinary.

the trees are close to the house, so the roots are approaching the house. it seems like the guy is qualified and has been working on trees for awhile - i'm not the one in communication with the tree guy. i just wanted to do some very basic research to see if that holds true. does that tend to be true for redwoods? they grow fast, and a regular (albeit severe) pruning is healthy? sorry for my inability to provide all the requisite background info here.

thanks!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Perhaps the theory there was that the root growth would be slowed by reducing the top, trees being integrated systems (organisms) just as we are. However, the roots will still continue to explore new territory despite crown reduction. Giant, enduring trees like redwoods make giant mats of roots that extend over an area much wider than the width of their crowns.