Norfolk pine with one crispy branch

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Unregistered, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I have a Norfolk pine who has 4 main branches. 2 of them are thriving greatly and one is getting completely crispy, which is also a cross branch at the base. The fourth branch is very short and mostly okay, looks like he's getting a little dry, and possibly a tad yellow upcoming. There is no full yellow or brown on the entire tree. It does reside indoors with a 65-72 degree temp and on a table behind a tree like plant which sits between the pine and the window. I mist the tree every few days and water about once a week when I see the top level is dry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, these trees if grown indoors, need plenty of light, but not full sun,and prefer to be a little pot bound, I repot mine every two years,although I must say, I grow them as bonsai, they like to be kept on the dry side, if your compost is free draining, your watering regime seems adequate.In the summer they appreciate being put outside in sheltered spot.If you train them , they make splended bonsai.
    Ashizuru.......

3. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Unregistered , hi ,I agree with ashizuru, thest plant will need lots of humdity,since they come form the tropics , wyatt

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've gotten occasional crispy branches on mine over the years but it's still with me. One time it turned out to have small caterpillars eating away little sections of the foliage. The rest of the time I figure it's a watering problem, as in not enough.

5. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    I would agree with Ron, if you do let them succum to a lack of water, you will surely
    get crispy branches, but they are a forgiving tree, and soon recover, I've had my trees for 12 years or more, and have had a few crispy branches during that time.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Note that the original post is nearly 2 years ago! I guess new answers won't be much help for the original poster now!

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

However, as with all internet forum threads others interested in the topic may benefit from additional discussion.