ZZ Plant Help needed

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by SalsaRed, Jan 14, 2006.

1. SalsaRed

SalsaRed Member

ZZ Plant Diagnosticians Needed!

One shoot @ a time, leaves yellow, usually from the tips to the stem, then the stem goes soft and I cut it away. It has been small young stems until now and now it has struck a large older stem.

I have a 24 high ZZ plant, bought about 1 year ago from a reputable greenhouse/nursery in the area. It seems it is always putting out new healthy looking shoots, but one by one I notice another otherwise has been healthy shoot begin to look a pale green, the leaves yellow, but only on that shoot and gradually the shoot begins to look shriveled and soften a bit.

It started last summer so I put it outside to see if it needed more light. It seemed to not make a difference and continues.

I took it out of its plastic pot ( 8 Bottom Width X 9.75 Top Width X 8.75 Ht.) it came in. It had a large root structure from the tubers, some fit tightly against the plastic perimeter of the pot. I gently took the soil away and trimmed the roots of a few (3) that seemed mushy at the end of the tip, and removed others that seemed like they were a wet flat fleshy thread that may have been a root and slowly seemed to decompose. A better description would be like a limp flat off-white intestinal casing and these seemed to just pull out of the root structure with ease.

One large tuber seemingly connected to the now yellowing large stem seemed to be softer, shriveled and not looking as robust as the others.

The original soil it came in was a mixture of soil, pearlite and much bark.

As for watering, I hardly water it. I was told to water lightly once every 7-8 weeks.

I took the plant to the place I purchased it and they said, maybe re-pot it, maybe a little bigger pot, and maybe new soil. I found them less than helpful.

Any suggestions?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What's a "ZZ Plant" ??

3. SalsaRed

SalsaRed Member

Zamioculcas zamiifolia is commonly called the "ZZ plant" in the trade.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

ZZ plant .... I was all set for a plant with a long beard (a la ZZ Top)!

6. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

laughing.......still laughing..............thanks for the Sunday morning giggle........I love a good sense of humour.......that's something I would have thought but probably not said on here since I am only a 'seedling'. In time I will let it all hang out keeping it strictly professional also.............

7. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

The Denver Plant reference states that "they don't get very big". Mine grow in deep shade in my back yard and the limbs (fronds?) all average 40 inches in length. Two are in 16 inch dia. pots and one is in the ground.

8. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Sounds almost like the soil is staying wet, even after 7-8 weeks if the stems are soft and mushy and leaves yellowing. Make sure when you do water, keep watering until it comes out the drain holes and get rid of any excess in the saucer but make sure the soil completely dries out first.
    I found sometimes that soil used in nurseries do not dry out as well in the average home. The soil composition might be an issue.

Mine is snug in the pot and gets watered every two to three weeks in the summer months, much less in winter. Checking the drain hole with your finger is the easiest way to ck at the very bottom if it's dry or not.
    Have had it for about three yrs now without any problems, so far.
    They don't like direct sun. Give it indirect bright light and dapple sunlight is ok too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Zamioculcas zamiifolia Engl. is an aroid. It is one of the most unusual of all aroids. Popular aroid species contain the philodendrons, anthuriums and other similar popular collectable plants. The species is also sometimes known by the synonyms Zamioculcas loddigesii, Zamiacaulcas zamiafolia, Zamioculcas lanceolata, and strangely Caladium zamiaefolium but the common names are Aroid Palm, Arum Fern, or simply ZZ Plant.

The "ZZ" plant is an unusual aroid from Zanzibar and Tanzania in eastern Africa. This strange plant is approximately 20 inches tall (50 cm), which is its maximum height. Zamioculcas zamiifolia grows with all its glossy leaves facing one direction and is normally found in its natural habitat in dry grassland and lowland forests on rocky llightly shaded terrain. The plant will do well in a tropical setting if watered properly. But proper watering requires a dry period. This aroid likes to be kept wet in summer but prefers drier conditions in the winter. Most are killed by too much water in the wrong season of the year.

Propogation can be done from the seeds the plant will eventually produce or leaf cuttings. It is the only known aroid which can be reproduced by simply putting a leaf in soil. Considered by botanists to be an ancient aroid plant it has an unusual characteristic. When a leaf falls on the ground it is possible for it to root and form bulblets. This characteristic is unknown in aroids other than the Zamioculcadeae. Zamioculcas zamiifolia can tolerate low water, low light and some neglect for periods of time which often serves to make it a good houseplant.

That is likely why florists and tropical nurseries have taken to selling the plant. Some sellers will advertise it is a "new plant" but in truth it has been around since the beginning of time. It has only been commercially sold since about 2000. Experienced growers recommend planting the aroid in very well draining soil with plenty of peat and sand added. It is also considered a suitable plant for shaded landscapes or terrariums.

My guess? You've either given it more water than it wants or less water than it wants. Sounds like perhaps a combination of too little water in the wrong season of the year, but that would be difficult to know for certain wihout seeing the plant.