Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Gordo, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I acquired this lovely UBC introduction some years ago. I have recently read of the suspicions by one esteemed author that this cultivar may be the same as 'Nanum Semperflorens' or 'Watanabei. Could somebody set the record straight? Thanks.

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I have also heard that it is the same plant as Watanabei. It certainly has the same habit when they are grown side by side.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is what I've available on the origins of the cultivar:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll also add that there is nothing "nanum" about 'Summer Snowflake' - grows to over 3m, unlike the description of 'Nanum Semperflorens' and 'Watanabe' from here: http://www.joycreek.com/529-030-1.htm

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

2002 Edition of HILLIER MANUAL OF TREES & SHRUBS has these two relevant entries:

"'Nanum Semperflorens' ('Watanabe') A slow-growing form of dense habit with white flowers produced over a long period during summer and autumn. It was found as a seedling in the wild in Japan by Kenji Watanabe about 1956. Dwarf plants reaching 50cm and found in the wild at the foot of Mt Fuji in Japan have been described as f. watanabei (Honda) Hara."

"'Summer Snowflake' A medium-sized shrub with tiered branches and lacecap-like flowerheads in May and through summer. Leaves red to purple in autumn. Similar to and possibly the same as 'Nanum Semperflorens'."