UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > HortForum

HortForum For gardening and plant questions not covered by any other open forums below.
Unsure where to ask your question? Ask it here!

Post New ThreadReply

Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Blue Poinsettia?

I purchased a Poinsettia at a local Grocery Store that has many blue leaves. The leaves are not dyed and some are now changing to typical pink/red color. Do I have a hybrid or recessive color expression? If not, could this be a soil pH condition? Two pictures of plants are attached (I hope since this is my first post :)

Tim Yoho
Lock Haven, PA
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	121305-Poinsettia-1-sm.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	9800   Click image for larger version

Name:	121305-Poinsettia-2-sm.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	9801  
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
E pluribus unum.

Re: Blue Poinsettia?

usually spraypaint, sometimes a die injected. the sparklies if present are also man made and usually just sprayed on. I havent watched one (a blue point) long enough to see it come back from the abhorent color treatment before, interesting.
Paul Buikema, CLP - Retail, I.S.A. Certified Arborist. Certified Tree Risk Assessor, 2003 BCLNA Young Member of the Year, 2010 BCLNA Member of the Year, BC Arborist Technician Supervision & Sign Off Authority
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:40 AM

Thanks for Reply.
If dye was used it must be systemic since leaves are evenly colored with no indication of surface application. There are no sparkles present. After one week (since purchase), only about half of the previous blue leaves remain. Either the dye is bleaching or the chromoplasts in leaves are now producing red pigment. In any event, everyone who has seen plant remarks on its unusual beauty.

Tim Yoho
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:18 AM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

Washington Post article

I'm not certain what you have if there's no indication of application, but I know that blue colouration would not naturally occur - as far as I know, there's very little evidence of those kind of pigments within the genus. All I could find with just a touch of blue are a few of the succulent Euphorbia members.

Daniel Mosquin
Research Manager
UBC Botanical Garden | BC Flora | John Davidson
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Your blue pointsettia is probably a 'Fantasy' pointsettia- they are dyed and I suspect the dye is bleaching out. If you google fantasy pointsettia, you find it is trend/fad for large garden centers to have fantasy parties to custom color your holiday plant.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Indoor Gardener

I hope they'll put an end to this type of artifical manipulation. It just isn't right. Besides it's also a case of product misrepresentation.
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Making plants something they aren't like this would be another example of catering to a culture that is divorced from plants and nature. For the same reason garden centers diversify into non-plant items to stay open, landcape contractors feature paving, waterfalls and stonework over planting, and a certain other gardening discussion web site is full of links to non-gardening topics.

Seasonal potted plants like poinsettias are grown to be thrown away after the holiday they are associated with. So the whole exercise has a certain aspect to it already, that isn't much impinged by dying the plants or putting sparkles on them.
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Indoor Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B
...another example of catering to a culture that is divorced from plants and nature.
Yes - brings up the image of Charlie Brown in the field of aluminum Christmas trees.
Old December 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM

I think they're ugly as heck personally. They have purple ones too.

Happy holidays and new year to you all.

Tom
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Buy one and throw it away before the holidays are over if it makes you feel better.
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

With the Photo of the Day, it is very apparent to me that different people like different things (and sometimes it surprises me). And some people really like novelty, particularly if it is a conversation-starter (as this must be in the first few years of its release - and evidenced by the folks here).

As it happens, I'm in general agreement with the offered opinions. However, my big picture beliefs are that there is definitely room on these forums for people who are keen to learn about pigmentation of blue poinsettias, even if blue poinsettias are not to everybody's tastes.

Tim, I've noted you haven't posted any other replies since last week. If it's because of the responses to this question, please don't let these discourage you from participating on the forums. If it's not, then I've slipped into my bad habit of reading too much into things, and I apologize for speculating.
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:24 PM

I thought speculation was prompted by information about blue chip stocks, not blue sparkling flowers.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Erica

Hey Tim Yoho- I bought one too and I love it- it is beautiful! And hey, if no one experimented with plants we wouldn't have roses.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Blue roses at that.
Post New ThreadReply