Identification: What is this ugly plant?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Unregistered, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I am in eastern North Carolina. The plant/fungus/whatever it is is about 5 inches tall. It is orangey red. It has no leaves or branches. It is hollow. It is slimy looking on the inside and insects, expecially ants seem to like it. It is shaped somewhat like a cone, with the sieds cut out so that you can see through each cutout to the other side. There are four cut outs. Sorry for the terribel description! It also stinks! Is it some kind og mushroom thing? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions as to where to find out what this is.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Thank you very much. I checked out some phtos online and one of these is what it is - now how do I get rid of it?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I'll quote directly from Tom Volk on his stinkhorns page (fungus of the month for July 99!):

5. hamadryad

hamadryad Active Member

Thanks, Daniel, for including the link to Tom's page-- and these fascinating critters.

I had a call from a friend a few years ago, describing something she'd found in the soil while digging her garden. A purple egg, with a green "yolk" inside and a lot of slimy mucus. I'd never heard of anything like it, but we finally figured out it was a kind of stinkhorn... and eventually I saw them in more growth stages. (Will try to remember the species.)

It's neat when something so unusual turns up in nature that it captures people's attention! The teachable moment...