Lemon & Lime Tree Fertilizer formula for potted Texas Trees

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by txlemnut, Jul 7, 2008.

1. txlemnut

txlemnut Member

I have a Meyer Lemon, Iranian Lemon, Ponderosa lemon and a Mexican lime tree that are potted in containers. What is the best Fertilizer formula and brand to use in all 4 trees? The Ponderosa is from a seed and the others are grafted. I am in San Marcos, Texas in between San Antonio & Austin. We have mild winters but do occasionally get below freezing.
    Your answers are greatly appreciated, txlemnut

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Citrus use macro nutrients in the ratio of 5-1-3 NPK plus they need trace minerals like Cu, B, Mg, Mn, Fe. It is best if you can find a fertilizer as close to that ratio as possible, but to my knowledge there is not one with that ratio. Osmocote and Dynamite make a slow release fertilizer that is something like 19-6-12 with trace minerals (minors) which is what many use for container citrus--that way one application will last for 3-4 months (in the summer) and 6 months over winter. These should be applied according to container size not tree size.

3. txlemnut

txlemnut Member

Thanks for the info. An Ag professor said a 30-10-10 would suffice. Sounds a bit high?

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

30-10-10 will suffice, and in fact is used by many container citrus growers. It is not the best, nor is it the worst. Just be sure whatever you use contains trace minerals. Most fertilizer formulas, even the ones that contain trace minerals, do not supply magnesium. Therefore, you should add one rounded teaspoon of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) dissolved in WARM water every couple months. San Marcos (named after Saint Mark) is a nice town, with a lot of activities based ariybd the San Marcos river. - Millet

5. txlemnut

txlemnut Member

Thanks Millet! I have read alot of threads here and were hoping that you would comment. The 30-10-10 is from Miracle grow for Azaleas. What would/do you use?
    Thanks Again

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

30-10-10 has a ratio of 3-1-1, that is not as close to the 5-1-3 ratio as the 19-6-12 that I mentioned earlier, but as Millet said it will suffice. The overall concentration of nutrients is higher, but that just mean that you will need less per gallon of water to get the concentration in solution that is recommended. The benefit of slow release fertilizer is that you add it once every 3-4 months in the summer and you are done.

7. txlemnut

txlemnut Member

Thanks Skeeterbug I went out and found the 19-6-12 from Osmocote and will be using that. Would it still be good to apply the Epsom Salts diluted in water?
    Thanks

8. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Yes, a tsp per gallon every 2-3 months when you water.

9. Herb Green

Herb Green Member

I have experimented with organic teas and with a time release fert like Osmocote can you still use plain water with worm castings each watering? and possibly the addition of Epsom Salts once every 2-3 months as directed?

10. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You can use organics if you want, but they do not provide anything special other than possibly trace minerals. If you provide a slow release fertilizer with trace minerals you are providing all the nutrients your tree needs. The only other things your tree needs are water and oxygen. The addition of organic matter may reduce oxygen in the root zone which would not be beneficial.

11. Herb Green

Herb Green Member

thanks skeeterbug, i appreciate the advice. Recomend any specific source for the trace minerals?

12. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Here in Florida, there is a product I get in a 5# bag that is called Essential Element Mix, I get it at an Ace Hardware. Many on this forum use S.T.E.M. by Peters, but it only comes in 25# bag. I have seen that sold in repackaged smaller amounts on Ebay.

Both Osmocote and Dynamite make a slow release fertilizer with trace minerals (they call it minors), but I do not find the Osmocote with minerals here. Next time I buy slow release, I will buy the Dynamite with minors.