black bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Anne-Marie Jarvis, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Anne-Marie Jarvis

Anne-Marie Jarvis Member

I have a problem with my black bamboo plants, i have 3 which i planted last year but they have all lost there leaves what im i doing wrong? have i lost them? or is there something i can do to bring them back.Any help would be most apprechiated thank-you Anne-Marie

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If the culms are still green they should leaf out again in Spring. Regular water and a top dress of good organic compost will also assist. The reason for the leaf loss is anyones guess. I've seen it happen when bamboo is dug and planted without sufficent enough rhizome to sustain the leaf mass.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

Of all the phyllostachys family, nigra is the most untidy in winter, they do lose a lot of leaves.........and its been a very cold windy one this year. Like LPN suggested put some compost around it.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A leafless bamboo could easily be dead. Sounds like they froze and died over the winter, maybe you planted them late and didn't mulch. If no sprouts appear this spring or summer they probably aren't going to.

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

A picture would be useful.............i've read enough of rons posts to know he doesnt mean they literally froze to death........its been a dry but windy winter here..so desiccation (drought is a more likely cause of death than freezing)..dont give up on them yet, like ron said wait till July before giving up.

6. Ron B

While probably not normally likely in your area, I'd think small divisions planted not long before a cold period, without mulch and without time to root out could freeze and die--especially if in an exposed location. We don't have enough information about specific circumstances surrounding this planting. Possibly they got dried out before planting, especially if barerooted that might do them in right there--bamboo roots dry quickly when exposed to air. Different kinds of plants vary markedly in how much exposure to air their roots will tolerate, some kinds can sit out of the ground for months and then grow as if nothing happened, others seem to be hurt by brief exposure.

7. Anne-Marie Jarvis

Anne-Marie Jarvis Member

Thank-you so much to all that replied.
    GREAT NEWS! i have been to check and there is small green shoots coming up so it cant be dead! (can it?)
    I will try the compost and keep watering in hope that the leaves will return.I bought it to shadow me from my neighbours but so far they have a more improved view through my twigs!! lets hope the new shoots grow fast!
    Thank-you all again i will keep you posted
    Anne-Marie

8. Ron B

High fertility and moisture for bamboo. Black bamboo bends under rain dramatically so if this is a confined area you may have to prop it up eventually, if you don't want access blocked during damp weather.

9. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have two clumps of black bamboo, one in the ground, one in a container. The one in the ground keeps most of it's leaves through the winter. The one in the container loses it's leaves if there are periods of prolonged subzero temperature. But it always comes back in the spring with fresh leaves. I suspect that as the soil freezes, there is reduced availability of water. At the same time, the cold dry wind dessicates the leaves. But it is tough enough that it has survived temperatures of -10 Celcius. P aurea, on the other hand is one tough bamboo. I have several divisions in one gallon pot right now. It seems to be producing new leaves in spite of the fact that two of the pots had been frozen solid over the winter.

10. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I've never had P. nigra (Black Bamboo) de-foliate for any reason.

11. Ron B

Yes: An evergreen bamboo that loses all of its leaves has experienced a significant hardship.

12. oscar

oscar Active Member

I have had several defoliate for many reasons, oO I forgot to water 1, I let 1 get really pot bound, I over zealously divided 1, left 1 in a pot in a very windy location.........most recovered fortunately

13. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Mind your concern doesn't lead you to overwater: I don't know your situation weather-wise, but typical early spring rain and moisture is adequate until drier weather arrives....overwatering can be deadly to many bamboos.