Hydroponic Grower/Consultant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by GrowerJoe, Dec 12, 2007.

1. GrowerJoe

GrowerJoe Member

Hi Everyone!
    My name is Joe Swartz. I have been a full time professional hydroponic vegetable and herb grower for 22 years (over 41,000 hours of greenhouse experience)

I am the owner of Swartz Family Farm, the longest continuous running Hydroponic vegetable operation in the state of Massachusetts. I am currently expanding my consulting business, as I have many years of experience and have dealt with most any problems/situations that grower can face. I do not sell equipment or supplies, so that my advice is not tainted by the need to "sell you something," but rather I can offer you practical, useable guidance. I can assist with existing operations as well as start ups. My particular expertise includes: Organic/Biological pest control, growing systems, nutritional/physiological disorders, specialty produce marketing, and overall "troubleshooting." Results are guaranteed. My experience can save you alot of time, and alot of MONEY. If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time. I can be reached at Swartzfamilyfarm@aol.com
    Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

are you asking for people to contact you for advice for a fee? or offering free advice via this web forum?

3. GrowerJoe

GrowerJoe Member

Hi Jimmy.

I work as a consultant, with existing/prosepctive growers on any commercial projects.
    I do this work for a fee. If any grower needs help with a problem or prospective grower needs help designing/planning a greenhouse, my experience can save them alot of money in the long run.

However, I am more than happy, to offer advice to anyone on the message board who has questions. It is only if someone needs more extensive help would there be a charge. I hope that answers your question........please let me know if I can be of help. Good luck!
    Joe

4. WildFire

WildFire Member

Hey Joe, I am new here too, but I am glad you are here. As I will probably try and pick your brain a bit. What kind of nute doser would you recommend for a smallish hydro set up. How long has your farm been running? What kind of crops do you run?

5. GrowerJoe

GrowerJoe Member

Hi!

I have been running for over 20 years, and have been primarily growing culinary herbs........sweet basil, dill, cilantro, chives, etc., as well as salad greens, lettuce, mesclun mix, chard, spinach, arugula, watercress, and broccoli raab. I have also been growing cucumbers (both long green and beit alpha) and tomatoes for approximately 15 years.

I know that there are many different opinions on the subject, but I really would not recommend any nute doser at all. My best experience has always been by formulating and mixing nutrients by hand. It is more time consuming, for sure, but I have never had better results than when I did it myself. I realize that many go for the simple convenience, but in general, the more meters, automated feeders, dosers, injectors, etc that you set into your system, the more headaches you get with it. Checking the nutrient levels (either through EC or specific elemental testing), PH, and getting to know your plants better always works best.
    Just my humble opinion. Good Luck!

6. WildFire

WildFire Member

Sound Advice thanks. Is there a web site for your farm so we could take a look?

7. GrowerJoe

GrowerJoe Member

Hi!

A website is currently in the works (we were alittle behind the times with that one!!)
    But, you can send any email to Swartzfamilyfarm@aol.com and I would be happy to send you info, pictures, etc.
    Thanks!
    Joe