Beeches: Propagation of Fagus sylvatica

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Ranacker, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Ranacker

Ranacker Member

I am a plant pathologist in Maryland who has been working with a Phytophthora associated decline of European beech. I have several Phytophthora isolates I have isolated from mature declining beeches and I am interested in conducting some pathogenecity trials on European beech seedlings (probably just Copper beech to start). I am trying to determine if I should start the E. beech seedlings from seed or if I should graft them (to better reflect a nursery specimen). I am interested to know what types of rootstock are used in grafting Copper beech and other Fagus sylvatica cultivars. Also I am interested in learning more about the attempts to graft Fagus sylvatica to Fagus grandifolia rootstock (e.g. successful or incompatible?)

Can anyone help me???

2. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Interesting research. I would recommend using Fagus sylvatica seedlings in your test. Many nurseries do grow the strait species to specimen size and I think if you start with grafts your introducing another variable into the mix. With phytophthora being a root-born disease, I believe you could infer from your research that any negative impact the disease has on Fagus sylvatica seedlings, would also negatively impact grafted trees (since the grafts are on Fagus sylvatica seedling rootstocks).

Nearly all nurseries, including ours, use Fagus sylvatica seedlings as the understock. Fagus sylvatica cultivars can be grafted onto F. grandafolia, but I would suspect the overall success rate to be lower. I know of one large specimen Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula' growing here in New Jersey that was grafted onto F. grandifolia. The trunk looks very awkward on it because F. grandifolia grows faster than the F. sylvatica 'Pendula' graft.

Best of luck.
    Brian