? Indoor or Outdoor Yucca

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by dejayw1, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dejayw1

dejayw1 Member

How can I tell whether my Yucca is an indoor or outdoor type.

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Posting a photo will help.
    Basically though, if it has a trunk and you're growing it inside now, it is probably Yucca elephantipes which is tropical in origin. Most of the other Yuccas commonly available are of more temperate origin but require full sun and would quickly languish indoors.

Simon

3. dejayw1

dejayw1 Member

Thank you for the reply.

Yes it does have a trunk. The reason I ask about indoor or outdoor is because I've had it for 5 years indoor but at my old house where it thrived. I've recently moved and the Yucca doesn't seem to be having a good time at all and has shed several leaves. Infact, over half of what it had. I'm stuck for a place to keep it indoor at my new house and am wondering whether it could go outside?

What do you think, or does anyone else think about this matter?

Thank you

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

House plants should go out in summer, to a shaded spot. Their leaves were grown under indoor conditions and cannot withstand a sudden exposure to full outdoor light. If your plant looks like it may die before then, try to identify and correct the problems with the current location that appear to be resulting in failure.

5. dejayw1

dejayw1 Member

Ok, I'll do that.

Thank you for the advice.