Ruscus aculeatus

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Maximo Dalmau, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

What is that, a flower growing on a leaf? That can not be, right? I still remember the first time I saw Ruscus aculeatus, while studying Biology at the University, it fooled me at first sight. Giving it a closer look back at the Lab, while clasifying plants as part of the botanical practices, it all became clear. =)

Ruscus aculeatus has modified stems that look like leaves, which are called Cladodes. Cladodes are capable of doing Photosynthesis, this adaptation gives this species the capability to grow under some extreme conditions, specially tolerant to deep shade.

Ruscus aculeatus is well known and used in the ornamental world, clever in means of perpetuating the existence of this species, and it is said to have medical uses too.

Anyway, back to the photos, they show how a single flower is borne in the centre of each cladode. Pictures were taken from different angles and one showing my Dad´s fingers, just to give a sense of how big this cladodes and flowers are. Photos were taken November 6th, 2012 with a Sony Alpha DSLR Camera using a 4.5-5.6/75-300 Sony lenses, 1.5m/4.9ft MACRO. (More info: under each photos properties/details)

Attached Files:

2. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

Hello there!
    I hope you are enjoying these photos as much as I did when I took them. I will try to post regularly at the UBC Botanical Garden Forum, glad to share with you some of my experience and photos taken throughout the past years.
    Since Hi-Resolution photos occupy a lot of space, and here is limited, I have posted and will continue to post them on my twitter account (@MaximoDalmau) where they are as public tweets.
    In return I will go through your threads (which you have plenty) and if I have something else to say will do so. If I have quality photos that are relevant I will just add the link (avoiding usage of the limited space over here).
    Have a great day!
    Máximo

3. mary mcdonald

mary mcdonald New Member

Re: Ruscus Israeli

This is my first post, so greetings and thank you.
    Unlike your photo, the cutting I have, I believe, is Israeli, as the shoots appear on the underside of the 'leaf'. I would like to propagate my cutting of this very interesting plant. I am in Toronto and my nursery tells me that it is not compatible with our climate. Nevertheless, could it not be grown in a sunroom, and put outdoors in the summer months? I have a friend who has an abundantly-producing 8 ft. lemon tree which is kept in a large tub on the patio, then brought into the sunroom in October producing a large crop of lemons in January! a wonderful sight.

I can't help but believe that this could be done with a Ruscus I. I understand that it is a rhizome, but could it be propagated from a cutting? And if so, will it eventually self-pollinate? If this is absolutely not possible, can I obtain a rhizome, somehow?

4. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

@mary mcdonald

Dear Mary,

I am a true believer that almost evereything is possible. The key here is called "microclimate". If you are able to reproduce a micro-habitat then you will be able to grow it.
    Check out this Lemon tree in the property where part of my family lives in Mallorca http://t.co/uDo5RyEX Amazing right!?
    Besides, if living beings would have been so rigid, extintion would have taken care of them a long time ago. Nature has proven by far this is not true, and plants do have a great ability to adapt in physiological way. =)
    You should try different conditions to see which one works best.
    About getting a rhizome, due to phytosanitary regulations, you will have to ask your local nursery. They should have a list of providers that have phytosanitary license to import or obtain this specie.
    Success!