cocktail tree rootstock?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by MamaMac, Mar 15, 2007.

1. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

I recently bought a "cocktail tree" and it has what I am assuming are grafts of meyer lemon, and keylime(limequat). Would one of these be the rootstock or are they grafted onto something else? is there any way of telling?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If suckers with different foliage appeared from the roots that would be a hint.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Did the tree come with any labels that might provide clues to its origin? "Key Lime(limequat)" rings a bell. I've not seen a citrus cocktail tree before in the Canadian market. Where did you buy it from?

Yes - trifoliate leaves would be a definite sign.

4. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

The only labels on it are from the greenhouse that I purchased it from, Salisbury Greenhouse in Sherwood Park, AB. As for the foliage, Does trifoliate mean the same as palmate?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Three leaflets.

6. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

Then, no there is no trifoliolate leaves.

7. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

One can often tell where a graft was if the tree is not all that old. If there are two graft scars then the rootstock must be different, if there is only one, it may be that is the grafted variety and the remainder is the rootstock. If it is a trifoliate rootstock, the trifoliate leaves would only be visible if a shoot appears from below the graft.

Skeet

8. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

Thank-you all very much for your help. The flowers seem to be quite a bit more temperamental than those on my calamondin. I'm planning on building a conservatory later this year, how difficult do you foresee it being, to keep it healthy until then? Any tips, or should I treat it the same as my calamondin?

9. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The key lime is the most sensitive of citrus plants and should not be exposed to temps below 40 F. Read up on this forum about winter leaf drop and avoid the conditions that cause it.

Skeet

10. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

Thank you all very much for your input. hopefully I'll still have a happy healthy tree from which to get a "twist", when I toast the completion of my conservatory!