Identification: Please help! (New plant owner)

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by topher, Oct 17, 2008.

1. topher

topher Member

My Mom recently gave me two new plants, one of which is an Ivy. I have no idea what the other one is. The ends of the leaves are turning brown on it. I've had them for a little over a month now and I water them often. I just don't know what to do to keep them alive and healthy. I've included some pictures of the plant in question. Please help me identify the type of plant and the best way to take care of it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Spathiphyllum wallisii , Peace Lily.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. topher

topher Member

Thanks so much, Junglekeeper. You're absolutley right!

Does anyone know what to do if the tips of some of the leaves have started to brown? Could it be lack of water? I water it fairly frequently but maybe I'm just not using enough? I do apologize for my ignorance, but I've never cared for any kind of plant before. I really do enjoy them, however!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A little bit of browning at the leaf tips is normal, part of the aging process of the plant. How much are you watering, though? Generally you should wait until the soil is dry to about 1/2 down when you stick a finger in the pot. Otherwise, you could be drowning it a bit.

However, with a Spath, it actually doesn't mind wet feet so you won't kill it with a bit too much water. There should be other threads about Spaths in the Aroids forum, towards the bottom of the main page.

5. topher

topher Member

Thank you, Lorax!