1. kkprincell

kkprincell Member

I recently planted a Lantana which is a perenial for tropical regions. Are there any suggestions on preserving this over rhe winter months in Ohio. I am thinking of digging it up and placing into a pot, but am wondering about pruning, container sizes, fertilization, etc.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, it's an invasive weed here in the tropics, and I haven't found anything short of goats or llamas/alpacas that will kill it. I expect frost would set them back a bit, though. An Ohio winter will probably kill it outright if it's left outdoors, even with mulch.

How big is your Lantana? If you want it to stay around its current size, get a pot that's just a teensy bit bigger than the rootball. You can prune it quite severely, and so long as you leave about 3/4 to 2/3 of the plant behind it will probably thank you by blooming. I have never had to fertilize a Lantana before; here in their native range they seem to thrive even in impoverished soils and sand.

Be advised: you're not going to get all of the root-hairs out of your soil when you dig it up to bring it in for the winter. If you mulch over the spot in your garden, you may very well get new Lantanas coming up there next Spring. It is a truly tenacious plant, and is often used here as hedges, except on Galapagos where it is considered to be one of the worst invasive weeds, along with blackberries. If you have ever tried to get volunteer Mint to stop invading your garden, you'll have an idea of what you're in for with Lantana. Hopefully your winters will control its worst tendencies.

3. kkprincell

kkprincell Member

Thank you for your advise. I am saddened that you find this beautiful flower a weed! I like bringing the tropics to our ugly Ohio weather. I have been collecting hibiscus, mandevilla, lemon and key lime trees, trying to bring the tropics to me. Needless to say, my lemon and lime trees don't bloom, and the flowers all come into my sun room for the winter, making my days a little less gloomy and coooooold! You are lucky!

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah I can confirm that the English settlers brought Lantana to Australia and it has become a pest in most regions even the smaller forms (montevidensis) were taken off trade lists about 10 years ago.
    The problem with Lantana in sub-tropic to tropics is that there is no wintering period to keep it in check and profuse seeding and vegetative propagation has led to this being a problem pest in most of Australia.
    I have had a few people who have lived overseas in colder climates that often said the Lantana will just die back through winter and re-shoot in spring as the ground thaws, so it's a very adaptable plant.
    If you are keen to replant one of these I'd dare say you really need to give it some extremely poor treatment to kill it. That said however I do remember when we used to grow the smaller varieties that they would rot a little if over watered in the cooler months so there is a definite slow down or dormancy period.
    If you do pot it over winter just find a warm drier spot for it.