Lavendar plants, asparagus trimming and proper tools

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Virginia in Illinois, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Virginia in Illinois

Virginia in Illinois Member

I have a few questions today:
    First: When should overgrown lavendar plants be trimmed and how should it be done?
    Second: When is the best time to trim asparagus plants and what tool should be used?
    Third: Are there special pruning tools for various plants? ie: Lavendar, grape vines, fruit trees.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cut back lavender (note spelling) before new growth in early spring. Use hedge shears and stay out of old bare wood. If too far gone for this then remove and replace with fresh specimens.

3. Virginia in Illinois

Thank you very much.

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Cut down asparagus fronds when they turn yellow (mine are beginning to do that now). Do not cut right to the ground so you know where the plants are.
    keke

5. Virginia in Illinois

I have had someone else tell me to cut the fronds down a few centimeters below the surface of the ground. Perhaps cutting down below surface is only when harvesting and cutting off above the surface is in the fall after the plants become overgrown and I am prepariend for the winter. Also should the asparagus be mulched for winter? Can this be clarified? Thanks.

6. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Re: Lavender plants, asparagus trimming and proper tools

I wouldn't cut them down so short outside harvesting season, mainly so that soil-borne diseases or pests can't travel into the roots from the cut end, while the plants are in dormancy.

Re mulching, I don't do it out here but you get much harder winters than we do! Pro growers suggest to topdress with rotted manure before the first hard freeze, and then again early in the spring. My family in Ontario adds straw on top of the manure in the fall.
    keke

7. Virginia in Illinois

Thank you very much. That helps.