New Majesty Palm owner questions

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by nalge, Mar 24, 2005.

1. nalge

nalge Member

Hello,

I bought a Majesty Palm in a 10" pot today and Home Depot. It is about 6' tall at the tallest branch. I am very happy with it. I have a few questions about it though. First of all, it looks like it is either splitting at the base or there is actually two trees in the pot. I to have a traditional palm tree look with the trunk and fronds, is there any way of seperating them or is it just one tree? Also, i seen two bugs in the pot, they look kind of like grey and were the size of fleas, I believe they had wings. I didn't pay much attention to them and just squished them. Are they anything to worry about? Also, the tree is like a 6" base with fronds sticking up. Will the fronds drop down and will it grow a trunk? Does this palm tree create seeds? Can mine create seeds? When can I get them, what do they look like? I am growing it indoors in Nova Scotia. Thank you for your replies!

-Mark

2. JayNFlorida

JayNFlorida Member

Majesty's love water, so keep them watered well. They grow on river banks in the wild. They are slow growers but look really nice when they develop a trunk. They don't sucker, but you may have another one growing in the pot as many times they plant 2-3 per pot and one will dominate as the "bigger tree". Don't look for seeds anytime soon if ever.

3. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

Please be advised this is one of the hardest palms to grow indoors as they like lots of humidity and furtilizer and a moist soil .Temps around 65 to 80 and all balanced like a river bed from Madagascar where they are from. I have know idea why they sell these palms except to expect you to buy another 3 to 4 months down the road . My opinion is to try a date palm they are used to drier conditions especially during the winter months and more hadier for year round growing

4. Does anyone know what these palms look like in a couple of years, I to bought mine at home depot. How big does the base get, how tall do they get. Where can I find a picture of an adult Majesty palm tree

5. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

these palmtrees grow 10' or more so you must have a high enough roof to accomidate a majesty plam. Go to www.yahoo.com and type in the word Majesty palm and you willget lots of results. It doesn't produce fruit indoors. wyatt Reinhart

6. ChicagoBG

ChicagoBG Member

Re: Majesty Palm Owners
    I have discovered that they really like a LOT of water the hard way when my last one died. My new six foot palm is in the foyer that faces north until it is warm enough to put it out for the season. Now I put it out if it is pleasant for a few days. I was told that it prefers complete shade. True or not? We are coastal SC

7. Emim

Emim Member

Hello all... I was recently given a Majesty Palm and it looked great. After 1 week in my office, some of the leaves are turning yellow. I watered it enough, or so I thought.. It is in indirect light (large windows 10-15' away).. Any ideas, suggestions how to save it? Thanks.

8. palmar

palmar Member

It probably wants more sunlight. I read that Majesty palms need plenty of sun and palm food. I wonder if Miracle grow for trees would do the trick. I also read that it can take a month or more for them to recover. Good luck saving your Majesty palm!

9. misalis

misalis Member

ha ha ha, i also bought mine from Home Depo...Its huge and i have it in my dorm room. I was so excited but i don't want to get bugs or have it die on me........anyway to prevent bugs?? let me know!!

10. shauly

shauly Member

I live in Brooklyn, N.Y. & was under the impression that growing a Majesty Palm indoors; in my area was impossible. I'm happy to inform all those concerned, that it CAN be done. I've done it! The trick is to have the plant placed under a low voltage Halogen 50 watt bulb 24/7, water it twice a week including spraying all the palms. My plant has survived very nicely for almost 2 years & constantly sprouting new palms.

11. palmar

palmar Member

Thank you for the tips! I just put mine outside for the summer. I'm going to water it twice a week like you said and spray the frans. Thanks!

12. sarah2003

sarah2003 Member

Hi guys I would like to know the price of the Majesty Palm tree 10" pot in Home Depot. Thanks

13. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Majesty Palms shouldn't even be sold as indoors plants because they tend to do very poorly, no matter what you do.

14. kv466

kv466 Member

I tend to agree with whoever said it shouldn't even be sold as an "indoor" palm because it does very poorly overall this way. That one fellow said his is fine but with a constant light source and good water, which makes sense. As far as how big these guys get, I just saw one at the Fairchild Tropical Gardens in South Miami and they get as fat as Royals and if watered and fertilized properly, they'll continue to give you those same beautiful fronds as the ones you saw when you first bought it in the 10" pot. These should definitely go into the ground if you can. If you live up north, get a palm that can truly handle the indoor life. The best I can possibly think of, is Rhapis Excelsa (sorry if i spelled it wrong)...the 'Lady Palm'...this is an expensive palm because it grows so slowly but really, you can get one at a HD for about $40 for a small pot...but these guys cluster and before you know, you'll something lovely...certainly worth a try...Majesty is a marketing scheme but props to all of you out there who can actually make it work indoors. Happy growing~

15. kelliep1

kelliep1 Member

I purchased my Majestic Palm at Wal-Mart for $10.00. It came in a 10" pot.

16. jlbode

jlbode Member

I just bought 2 Palms from Lowe's. I live in Eastern Long Island, I have them outside,facing west they receive alot of light but the leaves are getting yellow. We have had alot of rain recently,and I'm not sure if they are over watered. I've heard they need to be fertilized, but what do I fertilize them with. I would appreciate the help