Is this poison ivy?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Novi56, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Novi56

Novi56 Member

Hi,

I have looked at many photos online but still find it difficult to determine if this is poison ivy. I am in Charlotte, NC and these crop up around the outskirts of the garden under the wax myrtle trees. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks like it to me.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Nice read. As one of the 20% or so who aren't affected I don't pay as much attention to it as I should.

Especially liked the parts about the bushes and trees

With my wife all pregnant this year weed pulling is all my responsibility so I'm a little behind and the vines a little ahead of schedule

5. togata57

Beware, Mark: as Grandpa points out, immunity now does not guarantee immunity later. Wise to get in the habit of caution when there is any chance of getting near this plant.

Good idea to take over yardwork whilst you and your wife are expecting (congrats to you both): prevent her exposure to toxoplasmosis. If you have a cat, please take over litter box duty as well!

6. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

Only people I have met that seem to stay immune to it are my cousins and their father is Native American.

And yes that is definitely poison ivy...do NOT burn it if you have it and don't have anywhere to put it! (had a grandparent do that...Biggest. Mistake. Ever.)

7. togata57

My mom (now 88 years old) had an awful experience when a girl in southern Illinois...folks lit a big brush bonfire which unfortunately included a large percentage of poison ivy. She breathed in the smoke and was terribly ill---blisters inside her nose and throat. Urushiol is not to be trifled with.

8. Novi56

Novi56 Member

Thanks everyone for the positive ID on this poison ivy. Thanks especially to Silver surfer for the link to that great website. It is full of wonderful information! We think the birds must be eating the seeds and then dropping them when perched on the wax myrtles, because this is where most of the plants are.

We now have a very careful clean up job to do!