Melianthus 'major'

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Charles Richard, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    I started a Melianthus (honey bush) from seed this past spring. It has reached
    about 4-5' in height. My question is about overwintering it this winter. It is stated that it falls into Zone 7b? I have it a pot. Was thinking about keeping it in a cool greenhouse? Has anyone overwintered one? This one has not yet flowered. I understand that it will probably die back to the ground level and regrow from the base the following year.
    Any info. would be appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: borderline in this region. Maybe keep under cover in pot this year, plant out in sheltered nook next spring. Give it room.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I grow Melianthus villosus without any trouble in a fairly open site. This past harsh winter was the first time it died back to ground level, resprouting vigorously this spring. Most years it's just tip growth that needs to be trimmed back. I believe the growing requirements and hardiness of M. major & M. villosus are the same. I never watered mine during the drought this year and it's fine, flowering quite profusely at the moment.

Cheers, LPN.