tree identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by claj007, Jul 4, 2010.

1. claj007

claj007 Member

can anyone identify this plant/tree please? It is about 2 feet high so far and is growing in my flower garden - I live in Montreal area.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's an elm. Maybe Ulmus americanus (white elm) or similar - tough to tell that, though, without flowers.

3. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

I agree with lorax definitely elm. If you want to keep it you should move it soon, otherwise it is commonly considered a weed most places.

4. lorax

Ah, but in Montreal, they're actually a bit endangered. If you decide to keep it, make sure that you transplant it well away from the foundation of your house - elms can live for centuries and develop quite extensive root sysstems.

5. claj007

claj007 Member

Thank you both for your replies. I'm surprised that it's an elm as we don't have too many around here - as you mentioned, quite a few of them died from disease. At first, we thought it was some type of alder or even birch??? Lots of those around.
    Joanne

6. lorax

I'm originally from Alberta, where elm is still a fairly common boulevard tree - I used to curse every spring because hundreds of little seedlings just like the one you're looking at there would pop up in my gardens from the five heritage trees on the verge. So I'm quite confident of my ID here.

7. claj007

claj007 Member

Great! Thanks alot for the info - have a good one!