Need help identifying my orchid.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lotuslover, May 4, 2010.

1. lotuslover

lotuslover Member

DSC09940.jpg

DSC09941.jpg

DSC09943.jpg

Hello All, My boyfriend bought me this Orchid for my birthday. I am trying to figure out the best care for this particular orchid species, but can not find any that look like mine. A tag was in the pot with the plant, and on it it says: Bllra, Tahoma Glacier 'Ithon'. I googled that, and nothing came up. If anyone knows the name of this specific orchid, your info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Beallara.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

4. lotuslover

lotuslover Member

Thank You so much!

5. lotuslover

lotuslover Member

However, the link you gave me seems to be more of a general care for orchids. Would these instructions apply to the Bllra. Tahoma Glacier 'Ithon'?

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Certainly.

It is a tropical hybrid and we have at least 6 of the Tahoma Glacier in our own collection. Give it bright light, keep the potting media damp, give it a diluted orchid fertilizer on a regular basis and repot it in new orchid mix once a year. We have plants now approaching 15 years old and have grown many to the age of 20. The link is from our own website and the instructions are based on information shared with me by several of the largest commercial orchid growers in South Florida.

Steve

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

lotuslover - what part of the world are you from? This can be helpful in caring for your plants, as people in Florida will grow plants differently than those in say, Canada (where I'm from). Try these links for more help: http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/cculture/index.html Click on 'Oncidium' for the PDF culture sheet.
    http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Oncidium&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=6852

Btw, your plant is a specific clone of the hybrid Beallara Tahoma Glacier. Yours has been given the name 'Ithon'. The other one mentioned here, called Tahoma Glacier 'Green' is also a clone of the same hybrid. Quotes around the name indicate that the plant is a clone.

8. Careoline

Careoline Member

http://orchids.wikia.com/wiki/Beallara_Tahoma_Glacier

I give you this link to confirm that the name Beallara will assist in your identification. This is a Miltonia hybrid and you will want to look up the care for this type. I hope this information applies to your hybrid. I enjoy Miltonia orchids and caution you that it will show crinkled leaves if you do not keep it hydrated. As usualy, I don't let moss sit against the base of the plant because it will rot the plant. Moss is useful in letting me know how dried out the plant is because if it is not humid enough in my home then the moss is a good indicator about when to rewater. These plants love moisture but not to sit in water. I believe it is an air root plant but I haven't looked in the pot to confirm this. It produces many new plants from the roots but I have left the plant undisturbed for a number of years. I follow the water-rinse the pot with fertilizer once or twice a week and on the last week of the month rinse through without fertilizer. The blooms are wonderfully scented and the aroma starts around 9:30 am and ends about 11:00 am. The scent is like a delicious tea. I almost regret going to work in the mornings. Luckily the blooms last 6 weeks and the plant will send up new blooms during the blooms season after the first shoot ends. I keep my plant in filtered light. I hope this peaks your interest in your plant. What a special gift for you.