identifying poppy, sage, and 1 other

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Artemis12, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

Hi all.

There is a poppy species that another neighbor and I are debating about...I think it's a type of opium poppy and so does she- she recounted a story where the RCMP rid her yard a few years ago of poppies that were growing from the previous owners and says they look similar. Incidentally, I've been growing this kind since childhood like probably hundreds of other people. :|

I would also like to identify a type of sage/artemesia that grows wild hereabouts. It has pointy leaves and grows singly, in clumps...it's not a big bush or anything...just rather graceful and aromatic.

And finally, I came across some flowers at another neighbors that I haven't been able to identify and promised I would try - it's a yellow flower with 6 petals and a base of pointy, tough looking leaves. It's growing along their walkway in poor soil and seems to be thriving. We live in the Thompson-Okanagan region btw, where it's hot, dry, and windy.

Any help is appreciated.

Artemis12

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

Thank you Silver Surfer- particularly for Allium moly which I was totally clueless about! Was pretty sure that the poppy is Somniferum - just needed confirmation.
    Still not sure about the sage...

4. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

another picture of the second plant taken yesterday...anyone?
    It's very straight, soft, transplants well, and smells nice. Can grow quite tall- at least 4 feet.

Attached Files:

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

With the new picture - could it be lambs ears, Stachys lanata? If tiny pinkish, lavender flowers form at the tops that might be it. But then I could be way off based. Helppppp anyone? barb

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Second plant looks like artemisia tridentata, in light of the three-pointed leaf (tri-dentata=three-toothed), and the fact it's growing wild in your parts...commonly known as "Big Sage". Funnily enough, the watermark on the photo is from "Artemis" design..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

thank you for replying Barbara and woodschmoe
    I always thought it was a tridenta but the 'Big Sage' looks NOTHING like this plant in form. Big Sage is a large, woody bush whereas this is a clump type of plant. To complicate things I discovered that some of the stems leaves don't have points and some have a few pointed leaves...regardless, it's not a huge woody thing unless that's part of it's growth cycle in which case I have yet to see a mature version of this plant. A few people around here grow it in their gardens as an accent ornamental.

and that Artemis Design you see is actually me: Artemis Graphics And Design ( http://members.shaw.ca/artemislangley/index.html )...a bit ironic that it's an artemesia giving me problems- lol

Edit: Flowers are small, yellowish.

8. woodschmoe

Hmmm....well, I'll stick with an artemisia of some sort, but beyond that I can't be of further assistance.

9. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

thanks for trying woodschmoe.

I am really frustrated with this one since I can't be sure.

10. woodschmoe

You know, I didn't mention artemisia cana Pursh ssp. cana, because it's not common...however, it is listed as occasionally growing wild in BC, and is noted for sometimes having 2-3 lobed leaves, sometimes not. Definitely my last kick at it, really just a stab in the dark based on the leaf variation, but might be worth looking up at any rate.

11. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

12. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

artemisia cana it is! Thank You woodschmoe!

And chimera as well- it was on page 3 of the site you listed.

It is a less common plant around here- probably because it has an atypically higher water requirement than many other plants hereabouts from what I've read.
    The best specimens are actually growing on a river bank...I'm glad to finally get this one named!