Acer palmatum 'Beni komachi Sport'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is another of my small grafts that has leaved out. This is Acer palmatum 'Beni komachi Sport'. Photo made 3-17-04.

Attached Files:

2. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am not familiar with Beni komachi Sport. I have had Beni komachi for about 15 years. The pictures below show the spring color (2006) on the tree and a close up of early fall coloration (1999). Is Beni komachi sport a new introduction?

Ed

Attached Files:

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files:

4. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Beni K Sport'

Hello,
    Unfortunately you are using an illegitimate name, which is not your mistake but the problem is this cultivar needs to be renamed under International nomenclature rules concerning mixed languages, it is wrong to place english on a Japanese name. Also the name is Beni komachi sport not Beni k sport which is truely illegitimate and incorrect.I mention this only because it is important as it causes confusion about identification, and causes confusion about distinguishing cultivars.
    Best Wishes.
    p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Name changed from 'Beni K Sport' to 'Beni Komachi Sport'. Duly noted re: illegitimate names, but not much else to be done yet in this case.

6. alex66

ok ,Daniel docet!

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not only are the names 'Beni komachi Sport' and 'Beni K Sport' illegitimate, as pointed out above, but the plant seems to be a reversion and not a sport. 'Beni komachi' itself is likely to be a sport from one of the 'Shindeshojo'/'Corallinum' group maples, and therefore 'Beni komachi sport' is not a new cultivar just a reversion to whatever cultivar (possibly 'Shin deshojo') Beni komachi was originally from.

The original 'Beni komachi' is one of the most beautiful small A.p. cultivars, and in my opinion 'Beni komachi Sport' serves no other purpose than to cheapen the name and confuse buyers who are looking for the real 'Beni komachi'. It is no surprise that 'Beni komachi' is generally considered hard to propagate due to the thin twigs; I bet 'BkSport' is much easier to deal with in this respect. In the ideal world all nurseries would stop propagating this so-called cultivar and sell off their remaining stock as un-named plants, but I imagine the chances of that happening are about as likely as a declaration of world peace.

Apologies if the above seems a little harsh, but I prefer to speak my mind, and I don't like to see people ripped off. If you want a 'Beni komachi' wait for one, don't buy this reversion instead; if you simply want a JM for spring colour consider 'Shin deshojo' or 'Shin chishio' (aka 'Chishio Improved') instead.

AlainK likes this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I will. Post in this thread due to the leaves on my tree not matching with the original 'Beni Komache'. They look more like the leave that @alex66 post above. I've had this tree about 4 to 5 years now. I have it in pretty much full shade this year. Normally it would be much more colorful with some sun.

Attached Files:

9. alex66

Mine is lost...

10. LoverOfMaples

11. LoverOfMaples

Pic from 4.26.22

upload_2022-11-14_20-3-9.png

Acerholic and AlainK like this.