What kind of Banana plant is this?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by cactus6103, Jun 15, 2007.

1. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

I just picked this banana plant up from a local garden shop and was told it is a Basjoo from the owner. I already had a Basjoo so I thought, that is all green. This banana plant is green with these darker red or maroon spots on the upper side of the leaf and almost solid dark red or maroon on the under side of the leaf and stalk. Can someone identify this banana plant and tell me its name and hardiness? I am a zone 7b just outside Charlotte NC. and want to know if it will survive my winter. Thank you so much for any help. Red

Attached Files:

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Here in India, some banana plants in their juvenile stage has those maroon patches. However, they vanish as the plant matures.

3. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

looks liek my mosa acuminata (dwarf cavendish). IT is hardy to 9b as far as i know. Someone should be able to confirm this.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Yes, Dwarf Cavendish. NO it won't survive your winters outside, but they do fine in pots, so you can drag it in....then keep an eye out for spider mites. You will get edible bananas off of it if it gets mature enough.

5. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

After searching another site, could it possibly be this, young blood banana (Zebrina) pseudostem? Their picture looks alot like my plant. Any help is appreciated. Red

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I used to have one that was very similar, Musa 'Bordelon' from Louisiana.

Cheers, LPN.

7. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It might be that it is something more interesting than a Cavendish, but if the nursery owner just called it a banana, I'm more inclined to think of it as nothing more than common. (Sorry) Also it doesn't quite look like Zebrinas that I have seen....but yes similar. ( Cavendish spots fade on older leaves, Zebrinas don't.)