Citrus in the rainy tropics

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Deneb1978, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows how citrus (oranges, lemons etc.) grow in Tropical Rainforest climates like the Amazon basin or Singapore where the lowest recorded temperature is 18C for instance. I know a lot of the citrus varieties we buy at the store here are from California or Florida and thus have different climates. Does citrus grown in this strictly hot and tropical environment taste any different or look any different than those that are grown in cooler environments like California or Florida? Where could I get some tropical grown citrus?

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Citrus indeed grow in tropical climates. In fact citrus is native to S.E. China and the Malay archipelago, both very tropical areas. However, in tropical areas with high humidity, and year around hot temperatures, citrus do not turn orange in color when mature, but constantly remain green . Therefore it is quite difficult to to differentiate the ripe fruit from the immature fruit when trying to harvest the tree. Also due to the tropical climate, there are many times more citrus diseases, and pest that attack citrus trees. - Millet (1,263-)

3. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Cool that's really interesting... so all citrus varieties would stay green all year in tropical rainforest climate. Are citrus varieties grown in the rainy tropics much sweeter due to the constantly hot and humid conditions compared to other cooler places? Do all citrus varieties become sweet in the rainy tropics or can you differentiate (lemons, oranges etc)? I imagine it would be difficult to ripen lemons and limes properly without picking them before they're ripe as if you left them on the tree to maturity (or at least what you thought was maturity), then they would be too sweet to be considered lemons/limes....or am I wrong here?