Shade trees with noninvasive root system

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by pweems, Sep 25, 2004.

1. pweems

pweems Member

My property is in the very hot San Fernando Valley in Chatsworth, California. Six years ago I lost a Quercus Lobata in a heavy windstorm and need a shade tree to replace the oak.. I just had a large pond installed in the yard but need shade desperately around the pond Please suggest all types of trees that have noninvasive roots and grow pretty fast. Thanx

If anyone knows of any evergreens that would do well under these conditions, please advise

2. 02/05/05 Was there any response to this previous post? I would also like to know if anyone has any information regarding trees with non invasive roots around ponds?
    Please reply to rgleadell@yahoo.com.au
    With thanks

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the pond is properly sealed (non-leaking) roots won't get into it. If you are worried about the pond lining being cracked (concrete) or lifted that would happen if the tree was quite close by, after some decades of growth.

Focus on other desired attributes and don't worry about the roots. If you need shade right away you will have to install an arbor or put shadecloth over the pond anyway. Trees take time to grow, even fast-growing ones don't make much of a shadow for some years. And if you have a tree near enough to a pond to shade it after a few years or lift it after many it will also be dropping litter into it.