Grapefruit Success Story

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by easyx308, Apr 11, 2008.

1. easyx308

easyx308 Member

I started a Ruby Red grapefruit plant from seed here in central Florida about 5 years ago. Tree is now about 10 ft tall; approx 7" dia at base.
    Flowered for first time on March 15; self-pollination in progress; many fruits with largest about 1" dia.
    Irrigation watering twice weekly plus rain; fertilized with 6-4-6 on a monthly schedule. Full sun.
    Quest: How long is the maturation period from initial pollination to an acceptable fruit? How often will this tree flower?
    Thanks for your reply.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Congratulations is well deserved. Your tree will repay all the effort and care that you gave it, for years to come with good tasting fruit. Grapefruit varieties can take from 8 to 18 months to mature. The longer a grapefruit remains on the tree the sweeter the fruit becomes. Grapefruit color up with age, but the age at which the color change occurs does not necessarily match the date they become good to eat. This is due to the acid content decreasing and the sugars increasing as the fruit matures. Your Ruby Red will be first "edible" in October, fairly good at Christmas, good in mid January, and excellent in February/March. Grapefruit can remain on the tree for months after maturity, giving the home owner a long period of time to enjoy his crop. A Florida grapefruit tree blooms once a year in the early spring. Note that grapefruit generally becomes less sweet and more sour if referigerated. Take care and a job well done. - Millet

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

By the way, it is considered that the state of Florida, produces the best grapefruit in the world. This is due to the high humidity, that keep the day and night temperatures farily even. - Millet

4. easyx308

easyx308 Member

Millet, thanks for your quick reply. I have read other posts of yours and you appear quite knowledgeable and I sincerely appreciate your comments.
    Growing this tree has been a real learning experience for me; I feel that I'm in a Bio class every morning when I check out the tree.