Meyer Lemon Tree leaves turning yellow

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by eulowife, Jul 22, 2008.

1. eulowife

eulowife Member

I posted about my meyer lemon tree when I first received it & thought I was doing everything ok but I guess I'm not. Here's a brief review. I received this tree in June & had to repot it three times because I potted it with all the wrong stuff. It's now potted in a 15 inch wide pot & 12 inches deep. I potted it with 3 part pine bark mulch, 1 part course sand & 1 part peat. I fertilized it with osmocote slow release fertilizer & added trace minerals. The trace minerals I use is axilo mix 5 which contains:

Magnesium - 6.0 percent
    Boron - 0.5 percent
    Copper - 1 5 percent
    Iron - 4.0 percent
    Manganese - 4.0 percent
    Molybdenum - 0.1 percent
    Zinc - 1.5 percent

In June I sprinkled 1 teaspoon over the soil then watered it in, then I read some more on this forum & now I mix it with 1 gallon of water & pour it over the soil. I have only added the trace minerals twice. Once in June & again last week. I only water when the soil is dry 2 inches. On average it's about once a week or week & half. I'm in Texas in zone 8a & it's 105 out today. It gets 8 hours of sun. From about 10:00 to 6:00. I watered it on a Wednesday last week then it unexpectedly rained for about 5 minutes & the tree got watered again & the next day it got watered by the sprinkle system accidently. That is the only time I can think of that I actually over watered it. The leaves have never looked right to me. They have always had a greener vein than the other part of the leaf but I thought I could fix that with the fertilizer & the trace minerals. No luck. I had sprayed it with horticultural oil at night to keep the bugs off of it & I did mashed one of the leaves too hard & tore it. There is new growth coming out of the stem also. Attaced are some pictures & any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    eulowife

Attached Files:

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The new leaves look fine, the older leaves do look like they might be a little deficient in iron, but that should improve slowly since you have added minerals. You do not need to add minerals as often as you have, a couple time a yr would be plenty. Citrus do not need full sun, although they can handle it if acclimated--they reach maximum photosynthesis at about 1/3 full sun, so if you have a place that gets partial shade, that would be OK and may help with heat problems. You seem to be on the right track--your tree should do well.

3. eulowife

eulowife Member

Thank you so much Skeeterbug. I appreciate your time.