Dwarf Gingko Biloba question

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Bode, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Bode

Bode New Member

Dear Fellow Plant Enthusiasts:
    I just purchased dwarf ginkgo (Chi Chi). It is about a foot tall. I planted it in a pot & want to keep it indoors, perhaps putting it out on my deck come next Spring. Do you think this precious little tree will survive indoors in a pot over the winter? Many thanks, Bode

2. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Bode,
    I've also just recently purchased my first gingko tree (Robbie's Twist). I've sunk the pot into the ground for the winter. Most trees require a dormancy period, so I doubt that keeping it indoors will work. A gingko is not a tropical houseplant.

Depending on the pot size and how big your fridge is, you could store the potted tree in your fridge until spring.

Good luck!
    Kevin in KC

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experience growing Ginko, but have seen them grown successfully without any problems here in the Kootenays gardens.

I think Schattenfreude's advice is very good, although I would be reluctant to put a living plant in a fridge, especially for a long time. Burying the pot in the ground outside is a very good idea, if you want to grow it as a bonsai. Otherwise planting it directly in the soil would be better.

You should not keep your Ginko indoors over the winter, unless it is an unheated garage or something similar. Being quite hardy, Ginko will survive well outdoors in your climate.

Your plant may not be ready for sudden change from the indoors to the outdoors though, you should start hardening it slowly over a period of at least one week, or two. During that time I would keep it outdoors during nice weather, gradually exposing it to less favourable conditions and increasing the amount of time it spends outside. You should take care though that the soil in the pot will not get frozen during that time.

Here http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/gingkocare.html is a good advice how to take care of a bonsai Ginko.
    And here http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-gardening-journal/569-ginkgo-biloba-chi-chi is a good advice how to grow Chi Chi in the garden.

4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

For obvious reasons I can't put mine outside. They seem to be doing all right. Sometime over the winter or early spring they'll decide on their own to go dormant, lose their leaves, look dead for a while and then start growing again. Grew them from seed. I think they must be five years old now.