Please help me identify this familiar-looking plant!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by curiouscat, Jun 11, 2012.

1. curiouscat

curiouscat Member

Hello,

I was walking in the forest around my house today and came across this plant, which seems oddly familiar...... It grows in small patches, all over the ground, in about a ten-foot circumference! The tallest plant is about 12 inches high, has one stalk which comes out of the ground and then several of these leaves ( like the one I picked to show you here) grow off of that. In the center, there is usually a little cluster of itty bitty leaves coming out of one lump of leaf material. This plant has no distinctive smell. The average number of plumes (is that the word?) on the leaves is 5 or 7. I have found it in two other places on the ground. As far as I can tell, it hasn't flowered or anything.

Can someone tell me what this could be, growing in the wild in southeast B.C.? Some kind of fern? I'm quite sure it's not what I think it is, but I would still like to know what it could be! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not reptans. Rather Potentilla recta or P. gracilis var. fastigiata. Cannot distinguish these two by the leaves.